GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

Linking properties into GDL Parameters?

Daniel Pataki
Booster

Hello there,

i am looking for a possibility to link a property (made in Property-Manager) to a GDL Parameter, in my example I want to define the room number through a property.

What I could already manage to link the element-id, under Parameterscript: 

parameters ROOM_NUMBER = GLOB_ID

I also could find the code for my wished property (e.g. <PROPERTY-4CCC5747-F313-44B1-AA12-55B7B4EA9DA9>) through text-content, but it doesnt work in the parameter-script ... Is it even possible? If yes, please help with the code! 🙂

(Using Archicad 24-25)

Archicad BIM-Expert
https://www.a-null.com/
11 REPLIES 11

From what I have read and tried it's only possible with the link to grasshopper, I have not tried with grasshopper but have looked and tried everything else I know.

I plan on trying to use grasshopper this weekend to see how/if it works.

Hi Daniel.....I've tried this before...sorry it is not possible 😞 
Reading the Property and displaying - yes. Change something through the Property within the Object - no 😞

This is the best script for reading Properties:
https://gdl.graphisoft.com/tips-and-tricks/display-properties-with-labels
works with stamps as well...

@SenecaDesignLLC 
Grasshopper won't help since it can only place and read object, not change them

Last hope: Python

Mac OSX - up to date

GER Archicad Full, Up to date

I am trying to do something similar as in the example script provided by Graphisoft, but without the user selecting the property through the user interface. In other words: I know which (custom) property I want to display in a door marker, but I can't figure out how to "select" this in the script (without using the UI-script included in the example). As far as I have understood it, you can not "call" or "request" custom made properties like you can do for global AC variables/parameters/properties...

(òÓ,)_\,,/

www.studiov2.be

Archicad 24/25/26
Rhino/Grasshopper
BIMcollab ZOOM

>>> Read my book!<<<

I'm trying to do the same Beat.

The alternative im looking at is combining parameters in the Door 26 gdl. It seems like with some knowledge of gdl, efficiency gaps can be implemented where the more user friendly Property Manager fails.

If you find a solution, let me know! And vice versa

Win11 AC26 5002 NZE FULL, i7 4770k @ 4.4Ghz, GTX 1080Ti 11Gb, 16GB
Dell G15 Laptop: i7-12700h, RTX 3060, 16GB DDR5
Thunderbolt 4 to 2 screens, HDMI to a 3rd screen. Laptop lid remains closed.
3dconnexion mouse and keyboard

It's not currently possible, you can use the id to control gdl parameters and properties but not the other way.

That's a snag that kills an avenue to completing my silver bullet solution to significantly reducing door schedule admin on large multi-story projects for the architects, the door supplier and the site team.

I'd like to combine a Door's Element ID, leaf width and orientation to be displayed both on the plans and in the schedule. The leaf width and orientation would update automatically if it were to be changed graphically in plan, or in the settings.

With the property manager, Element ID and Orientation can be combined, but not leaf width as it hasn't been provided in the list. Maybe there's a way? Im scratching my head

Win11 AC26 5002 NZE FULL, i7 4770k @ 4.4Ghz, GTX 1080Ti 11Gb, 16GB
Dell G15 Laptop: i7-12700h, RTX 3060, 16GB DDR5
Thunderbolt 4 to 2 screens, HDMI to a 3rd screen. Laptop lid remains closed.
3dconnexion mouse and keyboard

I Agree - ended up tinkering in the Door Marker GDL to display the wanted "size type" and works fine. No custom property needed

(òÓ,)_\,,/

www.studiov2.be

Archicad 24/25/26
Rhino/Grasshopper
BIMcollab ZOOM

>>> Read my book!<<<

I found if I want custom anything it's GDL for me. The only objects I use from the ArchiCAD library are furniture. All my doors, windows, tags, labels, accessories are all custom.

This allows me to always display everything the way I want.

I finally found a way to create Properties fro gdl parameterts:

Example for Doors and Windows:

I don't use "list" parameters from the gdl such as "gs_list_acousticrating". I prefer Properties for non geometrical Data.
but "Acoustic Rating" is available in property calculations.

You can put a row of gdl parameters into the masterscript of any Door or Window.
Each parameter should be separated with an identifier (for example #1,#2,...)

parameters gs_list_acousticrating = "#1"+STR{2} ("%m", gs_leaf_thk)+"#2"+gs_handle_type+"#3"

Your property calculation for leaf thickness could look like this:
SPLITLEFT ( SPLITRIGHT ( {Property:Fenster\/Tür/Schalldämmwert}; "#1"; 2 ); "#2"; 1 )

For handle Type
SPLITLEFT ( SPLITRIGHT ( {Property:Fenster\/Tür/Schalldämmwert}; "#2"; 2 ); "#3"; 1 )

So one gdl parameter holds all needed gdl parameters and by splitting this parameter with identifiers into single Properties the bridge is done...

wow!

Something simpler could be provided by GS. 

Mac OSX - up to date

GER Archicad Full, Up to date