Design forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load-bearing masonry solution

Electric Flute
Beginner
Is there any parametric object or add-on for ArchiCAD that makes load-bearing masonry? It is great to estimate quantities. There are many for Revit, but I didn't find anything for ArchiCAD so far.
Thanks,
AC24 > AC5.5 - Win10 x64
23 REPLIES 23

Podolsky
Newcomer
I'm not sure it's necessary to model each block and especially brick, as it make model much heavier. You can find some library part objects on BIM objects web-site, that do have model of each block.
There is another way to calculate amount of masonry blocks or bricks - to create expression property, that will calculate amount of blocks based on wall volume and thickness.

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Based on your screenshots, I think you may be able to use the Curtain Wall tool to model these in Archicad. You would have to create custom panels to represent the bricks.
Another possibility is to use the Archicad-Grasshopper Connection, which can take the geometry of the Wall and you can create a Graph that would parametrically create the load-bearing bricks.

But as Podolsky pointed out, modeling every brick can result in complex models with a large number of polygons, so if you need to do that, you have to take this into consideration as well. In that case, it may be advisable to save a separate PLN file, and model the brick walls only in that file. You could even create an empty project file based on your file, hotlink your model into for reference, then generate the brick walls there.
....................................................................................................
Laszlo Nagy, Lead Moderator, Community Admin
Get Archicad Tips at https://twitter.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen 1700X CPU, 48 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), WIN10 PRO ENG, AC20-AC25
Loving Archicad since 1995

Electric Flute
Beginner
Podolsky wrote:
There is another way to calculate amount of masonry blocks or bricks - to create expression property, that will calculate amount of blocks based on wall volume and thickness.
Thanks Podolsky, but actually there are different sizes and types of load-bearing blocks on the same wall. See picture above, each color of a block is a unique size or type of block. The expression property calculation works only with traditional bricks, since they are all equal. Not with load-bearing blocks.

I don`t want to model and place each block. I want a parametric solution, like Revit have.
AC24 > AC5.5 - Win10 x64

Electric Flute
Beginner
LaszloNagy wrote:
Based on your screenshots, I think you may be able to use the Curtain Wall tool to model these in Archicad. You would have to create custom panels to represent the bricks.
Another possibility is to use the Archicad-Grasshopper Connection, which can take the geometry of the Wall and you can create a Graph that would parametrically create the load-bearing bricks.

But as Podolsky pointed out, modeling every brick can result in complex models with a large number of polygons, so if you need to do that, you have to take this into consideration as well. In that case, it may be advisable to save a separate PLN file, and model the brick walls only in that file. You could even create an empty project file based on your file, hotlink your model into for reference, then generate the brick walls there.
Thanks Laslo. Yes, it is possible to use Curtain Wall tool do model a load-bearing wall. There is a Youtube video that showed how to do it. But this workaround is very limited, not a proper solution. We need a solution that works for real, not to just presentation.

Load-bearing masonry is the evolution of the traditional masonry. ArchiCAD as a BIM, needs to address it.
AC24 > AC5.5 - Win10 x64

Aaron Bourgoin
Booster
have a look at the videos on this subject - block made with curtain wall - by Contrabim. Very useful:
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC23-3003 USA / AC24-4018 USA
Rhino 7 Mac
OSX 10.14.6 & 11.3.1

Electric Flute
Beginner
Aaron wrote:
have a look at the videos on this subject - block made with curtain wall - by Contrabim. Very useful:
Thanks Aaron. It's a great video, but as I said, Curtain Wall tool isn`t able to deal with all the different sizes of blocks of a Load-bearing masonry. That`s because CW tool uses a fixed size of Scheme along a wall.

Load bearing masonry needs different sizes of blocks (schemes in CW tool)
Normal block - 1 scheme
T block - 1 +1/2 scheme
1/2 block - 1/2 scheme
3/4 block - 3/4 scheme
See images below where I need to use different sizes of blocks.
In the video, you can see that he didn`t place any door/windows on the wall masonry option. That's because he can`t do it with CW tool.
AC24 > AC5.5 - Win10 x64

Eduardo Rolon
I think it is doable. You just need to duplicate the joints were you want to cut.
Also you can "push-pull" them back to make the T's.
All the 3/4 schemes, 1/2 scheme etc can be configured by either duplicating or moving joints.
eduardo rolón AIA NCARB
Another of the forum moderators.
Macbook Pro 2.4 i9 32GB ram
OS X 10.XX latest
AC25 US/INT -> AC08

Electric Flute
Beginner
ejrolon wrote:
I think it is doable. You just need to duplicate the joints were you want to cut.
Also you can "push-pull" them back to make the T's.
All the 3/4 schemes, 1/2 scheme etc can be configured by either duplicating or moving joints.
Thanks Eduardo. Very Interesting! But I don`t find "joints". Do you mean Junctions? Could you please elaborate it? Thank you.
AC24 > AC5.5 - Win10 x64

Eduardo Rolon
The mortar joints are frames in CW.
eduardo rolón AIA NCARB
OS X 10.XX latest
AC25 US/INT -> AC08

Electric Flute
Beginner
ejrolon wrote:
The mortar joints are frames in CW.
I see, thank you for your help.
But too much hassle. Not worth it.
AC24 > AC5.5 - Win10 x64

Eduardo Rolon
Curious as to why it is a hassle?
- CW is part of AC so no extra cost
- It only took me less than a minute to place the door and edit the CMUs
- Once the first Scheme is done then you can save it as a Favorite
-----
Is it that the other plugins automatically create and select the CMUs once you place an opening?
eduardo rolón AIA NCARB
OS X 10.XX latest
AC25 US/INT -> AC08

Aaron Bourgoin
Booster
I liked ContraBIM's video because I learned more about pattern editing with blocks as the example than I ever did from a Graphisoft video. I've got a complex tower facade (actually 2) that I will finally get to apply some of what I learned. Looking forward.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC23-3003 USA / AC24-4018 USA
Rhino 7 Mac
OSX 10.14.6 & 11.3.1

Eduardo Rolon
On another note the original screenshot from RVT indicates that the wall is a Curtain Wall too.
So now I am more confused as to why using the CW tool in AC is too much hassle.
eduardo rolón AIA NCARB
OS X 10.XX latest
AC25 US/INT -> AC08

Eduardo Rolon
Aaron wrote:
I liked ContraBIM's video because I learned more about pattern editing with blocks as the example than I ever did from a Graphisoft video. I've got a complex tower facade (actually 2) that I will finally get to apply some of what I learned. Looking forward.
You should have seen Laszlo's presentation during ARCHINTENSIVE 2021
eduardo rolón AIA NCARB
OS X 10.XX latest
AC25 US/INT -> AC08

Electric Flute
Beginner
ejrolon wrote:
On another note the original screenshot from RVT indicates that the wall is a Curtain Wall too.
So now I am more confused as to why using the CW tool in AC is too much hassle.
Thanks Eduardo. You are right, the Revit exemple above is made with their CW Tool, I just notice it by you.
I had an idea, I will use the CW tool in a different way to deal with the multiple sizes of blocks in the running bond intersections. I will test it and return you.
AC24 > AC5.5 - Win10 x64

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Electric Flute,

I will also be interested in the solution you come up with.
....................................................................................................
Laszlo Nagy, Lead Moderator, Community Admin
Get Archicad Tips at https://twitter.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen 1700X CPU, 48 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), WIN10 PRO ENG, AC20-AC25
Loving Archicad since 1995

Eduardo Rolon
I would also like to know about those RVT add-ons.
eduardo rolón AIA NCARB
OS X 10.XX latest
AC25 US/INT -> AC08

Electric Flute
Beginner
LaszloNagy wrote:
Electric Flute,

I will also be interested in the solution you come up with.
As the first (odd) row blocks differ from the second (even) row blocks, the load-bearing masonry project needs 2 plan views (1st row view and 2nd row view). Therefore, I created 2 CWs for the same wall, each CW in a unique layer for each Plan Views. One CW starts on the first row and another CW starts on the second row in between. With this method I model the wall like the real world and solved the following need:
- 2 Plan Views of each row. (1st row view and 2nd row view)
- There is no need to always delete intersection and corner blocks from the running bond masonry

Ok so far. But I got trouble in one display situation, I think it is a ArchiCAD bug: One of the CW don`t show it properly on plan view, because of the "Floor Plan Cut Plane". No matter what I do, the CW don't show as projected top view. So, this stopped me so far.
AC24 > AC5.5 - Win10 x64

Eduardo Rolon
That line happens when you have two of the same object occupying the same space. If I am correct then moving one of the CWs should fix it.
---
On the other point you don't need 2 CWs to have different rows. The Contrabim video shows how to do it.
eduardo rolón AIA NCARB
OS X 10.XX latest
AC25 US/INT -> AC08

Didn't find the answer? Start a new discussion

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!