Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Locking AutoCAD drawing

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone

I’m using a dwg file in order to draw a project in archicad. The thing is it always get selected in the floor plan, which is quite annoying when I try to select the walls instead.

I’ve already tried locking the layer but it keeps selecting it.

Thanks a lot
8 REPLIES 8
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You can press SPACE to temporarily deactivate the "Magnet" Quick Selection method.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
RandyC
Advocate
put the autocad drawing on another floor and use trace layer
ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 27 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9
Eduardo Rolon
Instead of another floor you should place it in a Worksheet and use Trace/Ref.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
ejrolon wrote:
Instead of another floor you should place it in a Worksheet and use Trace/Ref.
Thanks, that’s exactly what I did, but the lines get selected somehow.

Is there a way to remove an existent Trace/Ref?
Eduardo Rolon
It looks like you are using the Trace/Ref wrong.
- Place the DWG in a Worksheet
- Go to the Floor Plan were you want to Trace
- Use the Trace/Ref palette to show in the floor plan the worksheet. In that way you will be able to snap to the DWG but you will not be able to select it.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
ejrolon wrote:
It looks like you are using the Trace/Ref wrong.
- Place the DWG in a Worksheet
- Go to the Floor Plan were you want to Trace
- Use the Trace/Ref palette to show in the floor plan the worksheet. In that way you will be able to snap to the DWG but you will not be able to select it.
Thanks, that’s exactly what I did and I think what’s bothering me is the fact that I’m able to snap it.

I’m using Alt+f2 which works like a charm, but for future references, is there a way to stop showing this plan as a trace reference? I can’t seem to be able to undo it and this could be quite effective afterwards.

Thanks in advance
Eduardo Rolon
Turn the reference off and it will not show.
Still I have no idea of what you are trying to accomplish here. The while point of having a DWG as a trace/ref is to be able to snap to it and the original question implied that you were selecting the DWG by mistake. If you need it as a visual reference only then it would be easier to use a PDF or JPG or any other image formats.
If I understand you can use the trace reference palette to switch to another view to use reference look for the browse for reference option in top right if I remember correctly.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
ejrolon wrote:
Turn the reference off and it will not show.
Still I have no idea of what you are trying to accomplish here. The while point of having a DWG as a trace/ref is to be able to snap to it and the original question implied that you were selecting the DWG by mistake. If you need it as a visual reference only then it would be easier to use a PDF or JPG or any other image formats.
If I understand you can use the trace reference palette to switch to another view to use reference look for the browse for reference option in top right if I remember correctly.
I just want to see the plan without the dwg cause sometimes it’s a lot of information. Using alt+f2 as you told me to is great.
Thanks