Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Locking Walls to Grid Elements or to other Walls

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, people!

Is there a way to attach walls or columns to Grid Elements or to other walls? For example I want to able to move a grid element and everything attached to it to move as well?

Can I attach 2 walls together so if I move one of them the other can auto-extend?

It's really obnoxious that if you move 1 wall and you have a couple of other walls attached to it, you have to reattach all of them manually.

Grouping doesn't really work this way. It's a nightmare if you have a project with multiple stories and curved walls.

Thank you!
5 REPLIES 5
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
If you select more than 1 wall and use stretch on the edge of the wall, rather than moving, it will stretch the other walls along with it.

Or use the marquee tool to stretch multiple elements at once.

A trick I sometimes use is to move the elements I want to stretch to the side at a fixed distance, operate the stretch there and move it all back, to avoid moving stuff on similar layers that I might not want to move.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I meant to say offset the edge of the wall. See below.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you, I am aware of this, but it's not quite what I'm looking for. With the "offset edge" you have to select all of the walls and it still only stretches the adjacent walls.

I was trying out Revit for a couple of weeks (oh, the dread and lack of features) and this exact feature was very helpful - attaching walls and columns to axis or other walls.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Not that I am aware off. You can link stuff to stories (the vertical range), but horizontal planes you cannot link/attach to.

That said, the marquee generally does the job, especially if you are using layers in a somewhat logical fashion, allowing you to quickly turn stuff on / off or lock them.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Bruce
Expert
This feature in Revit is sometimes useful...but often a pain too.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb