BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Losing view sets using Teamwork

Miquel Garcia
Participant
We are working some projects in Teamwork. There are several view sets defined before the project was shared and others that owns to the users. Some of the users view sets are shared.

I can make changes in the originals view sets when I'm connected as a leader with exclusive acces. Theoretically, every user can make changes in his own view sets independently of its sharing status.

All is working well except with a calculation list. When I'm trying to add a list in my own view set (furthermore I am connected as a leader without exclusive access) to publish it. I can set all the settings but, after a 'Send&Receive', the list dissapear if I close ArchiCAD. The other settings, like publishing path, are maintained.

I have noted this behaviour in different archives. I don't know if it's a bug or if I'm missing something.

A little help ?

Thanks
Miquel
Capella & Garcia Arquitectura
AC18 - AC21, iMac 27" 3.1 Ghz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram, OSX 10.13.1
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Unfortunately, I'm not providing an answer here but just confirming your problem.

I'm in the process of updating our office standards in order to update from AC 7.0 to AC 8.1 and I've come across the same problem with the
view sets.

It seems that view sets created in an AC solo file are only accessible for publishing by the team leader (with or without exclusive access) once the file is shared.

This will be problematic since most of our projects begin as a solo files and then are shared at some point during the process.
Anonymous
Not applicable
For some reason it seems that your view sets are not shared. To fix this you need to sign in as team leader (I'm not sure if exclusive access is required- I had it in the file I just tested). Use the pop-up to share the view set - see attached screen shot.
ScreenSnapz.jpg
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
One of many areas where Teamwork could use a tune-up. For small face to face teams I'd like the ability to turn off passwords and give all users the power to create layers, layer combos, composites, etc.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
Geoff wrote:
One of many areas where Teamwork could use a tune-up. For small face to face teams I'd like the ability to turn off passwords and give all users the power to create layers, layer combos, composites, etc.
Sorry Geoff, but I don't think this is possible. The exclusive access/team leader thing is there to prevent chaotic changes to the file attributes not to enforce a top down totalitarian system. I agree that the number of things that require team leader or exclusive access should be kept/reduced to a minimum but in this area I would rather err on the side of caution than risk lost work or errors and omissions.
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Why would it not be possible? Any team member creates a new layer. When they Send & Receive that layer is added to the .plp. When another user does a S/R that layer appears for them. If their workspace is set up for all layers then they are immediately able to use it. Same would go for layer combos, composites, materials. I'm not trying to force you to work this way. But I'd like to.

And here's another thing. Teamwork gives us the opportunity to work on drafts remotely. Thus in theory I could take my draft home while I sent another draft to a structural engineer and a third to the client for review and comment using Graphisoft's free ArchiCAD Viewer Problem is AC freaks out when it can't find the .plp and in order to work this way you need to cancel the open dialog then ignore the warning, after which you can proceed safely. A procedure I would never of ask of anyone other than another power user. Yet this type of workflow is key to ArchiCAD's future, and while possible now (except for the free viewer of course), should be easy to set up without feeling like an outlaw.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry Geoff, perhaps I haven't given this enough thought. You may be right that it is possible to open up teammate access much more than I assumed. Of course the administrative and team leader controls must remain an option, but, as I said, I also favor removing any restrictions that are not necessary for maintaining the integrity of the file. People should be able to set up the program to work any way they like.

Graphisoft has relaxed some of the restrictions on teammates over the years and I hope this continues. I do still wonder if there are hidden risks in opening it up to much.

On your second subject. I am surprised and disappointed to hear that working remotely (taking a draft home) is behaving as you describe. It has been some time since I have done this, but as I recall it used to work just fine.

It sounds like we need a wish list item for a dialog saying "Cannot locate shared file." with options to "Work remotely on the Draft" or "Locate the shared file manually". I think this is easy enough to implement and important enough to do that it should be in the next release of the program. It is a part of fixing the features we already have.
TomWaltz
Participant
I do still wonder if there are hidden risks in opening it up to much.
The first and foremost rule of teamwork is that no two people can potentially change the same thing at the same time.

Any time someone creates a project attribute (layer, composite, etc), it gets a number. If you create a new wall called 2x4 it might be composite number 116 in your project file. You have no control over this number. Archicad just creates it for you.

Anything you draw with that wall gets wall number 116, not the actual name you gave it.

If multiple people are creating composites at the same time, you could potentially have a "wall #116" for each person currently logged in. This could lead pretty quickly to overwriting other people's work, and some interesting results when Archicad makes all 3 different instances of "wall #116" the same.

This same "use the number not the name" applies to anything accessible from the Attribute Manager (layers, composites, materials, etc).

Personally, I'd like to see that change, but I suspect that it may be part of the cause for the limitation in teamwork,
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
For some reason it seems that your view sets are not shared. To fix this you need to sign in as team leader (I'm not sure if exclusive access is required- I had it in the file I just tested). Use the pop-up to share the view set - see attached screen shot.
I've done this and the view sets created in the solo file are still not accessible for publishing by teammates. Only the view sets I created while signed in as team leader and shared are accessible by the teammates.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
For small face to face teams I'd like the ability to turn off passwords
I know it's not exactly what you mean Geoff, but you can leave the password blank, so that you can just hit enter, when signing in. This is what I used to do for ALL teamwork projects. I mean it's only ArchiCAD, it's not like we're trying to hack into the federal reserve!

Cheers,
Link.
Learn and get certified!