Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

MAC 10.3 - why 7 and 8 do not run together?

Anonymous
Not applicable
My 7.3 crashes when AC8 is open. Is this the case? Do I have to buy a new MAC to run 7?
9 REPLIES 9
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Adalbert wrote:
My 7.3 crashes when AC8 is open. Is this the case? Do I have to buy a new MAC to run 7?
Albert.
If you have a single licence of ArchiCAD you can not have ArchiCAD 7 and ArchiCAD 8 running at the same time.

It's the same as on the PC, although on the PC you can have as many instances of ArchiCAD(the same version e.g 7.0 or 8.0) as you computer can handel. I know that you can copy your ArchiCAD folder on your MAC and get the same result, problem is you take up hard dive space. I have tested and found that you can have ArchiCAD 8 and 8.1 running on the say dongel with out it takeing an extra licences.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Ben
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ben,

Since opening a project from 7 in 8 runs the risk of damaging it by saving inadvertently in 8 , or waiting for unacceptable library laoading time, GS damaged us.
The damage is the loss of time not being able to work on a project on the same machine.

An other question: Most of the time a I need to open 3 AC8s. Is this possible on 8?
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Albert.
It is possible on the MAC BUT you must make a copy of your existing ArchiCAD folder. Then you can have ArchiCAD running with multiple instances.

You can copy it as many times as you like. Please be aware that the more times you copy it the more hard drive space you will take up..

Hope this helps.
Cheers.
Ben
Ben O'Donnell
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ben wrote:
Albert.
It is possible on the MAC BUT you must make a copy of your existing ArchiCAD folder. Then you can have ArchiCAD running with multiple instances.
Actually, I believe starting either with OSX or AC8, you only need to duplicate the application itself, not the folder. Just right click on the app and select Duplicate. A second app named 'ArchiCAD copy' will be created.
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
I think you are right. It's just the app that you make a copy of..
Ben O'Donnell
Aussie John
Newcomer
I have a project that wont open in v8. Hence I have to use version 7 at times. It works without problem whle version 8 is open.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Not here, and not on 2 machines. (MACs 10.3) Crash, no matter witch is opened first.
----
I have a project that wont open in v8. Hence I have to use version 7 at times. It works without problem whle version 8 is open.
I can run v7 and v8 at the same time on one Mac with no problems, and I could do it w/ OSX 10.2.

Steve

Mac OSX 10.3.1
Steve Pribyl
MAC OSX 11.7.1
ArchiCAD 26
Djordje
Ace
Adalbert wrote:
Not here, and not on 2 machines. (MACs 10.3) Crash, no matter witch is opened first.
AA,

Do you still run Classic?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen