BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

MODELING A GARAGE RAMP

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'M WORKING ON A MULTI-STORY GARAGE WITH A COMPLICATED RAMP SYSTEM. I'M HAVING TROUBLE MODELING THE CORNER SECTIONS WHERE THE RAMP TURNS 90 DEGREES AND SLOPES UP AT A 6 PERCENT GRADE. DOES ANYONE KNOW THE BEST METHOD? THE RAMP NEEDS TO HAVE A CONSTANT THICKNESS OF 8" (A SLAB OF CONCRETE). I'VE TRIED A MESH, WHICH GIVES ME THE SLOPE I NEED BUT CAN'T SEEM TO GIVE ME A CONSISTENT THICKNESS. I'VE ALSO TRIED A ROOF BUT I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET THE COMPOUND SLOPE (BOTH TURNING AND RISING) ANY ADVICE? THANKS
3 REPLIES 3
cw wrote:
I'M WORKING ON A MULTI-STORY GARAGE WITH A COMPLICATED RAMP SYSTEM. I'M HAVING TROUBLE MODELING THE CORNER SECTIONS WHERE THE RAMP TURNS 90 DEGREES AND SLOPES UP AT A 6 PERCENT GRADE. DOES ANYONE KNOW THE BEST METHOD? THE RAMP NEEDS TO HAVE A CONSTANT THICKNESS OF 8" (A SLAB OF CONCRETE). I'VE TRIED A MESH, WHICH GIVES ME THE SLOPE I NEED BUT CAN'T SEEM TO GIVE ME A CONSISTENT THICKNESS. I'VE ALSO TRIED A ROOF BUT I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET THE COMPOUND SLOPE (BOTH TURNING AND RISING) ANY ADVICE? THANKS
Have you tried using the ramp object which is under the special constructions lib.? And some images might help us understand what you mean.

(also, stop shouting - turn of your Caps Lock when posting)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Actually, the ramp objects (three of them) are in
Concrete->Ramps.
It sounds like an interesting problem.
Please post some images to show us
some of the details of the problem.
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
The mesh can do the trick depending on how fussy you want to be about the constant thickness.

1. Get the top surface the way you want it.
2. Make a copy of the mesh and lower it by 8".
3. Subtract the lower from the upper mesh.

The result will be a little thinner than 8" due to the slope. To get this a little better you can make the vertical offset a little greater (thickness divided by the cosine of the slope) or you can offset horizontally in the general upwards direction of the ramp (thickness times the sine of the slope).

You could probably get it all exactly 8" thick if you were willing to tweak the lower mesh to accommodate the varying slope but this sounds like a nightmare to me.

Full precision probably requires GDL scripting or modeling tools that are not part of the standard set (perhaps ArchiForma or MaxonForm?).
Learn and get certified!