BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

MULTIPLANE ROOF LIMITATIONS

lasse
Booster
Hi.

I was wondering if this (see attachment) was possible using the multi-plane roof tool. If so, please describe the process.

It's too bad that you cannot edit the nodes along a hip in this instance. Doing it with single plane roofs gets tricky with the angles, eave and mitre connections. Using the mesh to roof seems like the best solution unless this new AC 15 can be manipulated in such a manner. Please advise.

Thx

Lasse
(suffering updates since v.4.55)
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes you can, but not quite as automatically as you should.

Those smaller corner triangles are at a shallower pitch than the main roof slope so you will need to place a section diagonally through the roof to measure exactly what the pitch needs to be.

Either on plan or in the 3d window, click on the pivot line for one of the smaller corner triangles, click on the 'Custom Plane Setting' button in the pet palette and set the pitch to the correct measurement. Click OK and repeat for the other three. It is worth mentioning that the two angles of slope wont meet *exactly* at the apex due to the relatively small number of decimal places the measure tool will display.

You will need to edit the overhang manually as well to match up with the main roof slope. Click the edge of the roof and select the 'Offset Edge' button on the pet palette to pull the edge up and down. You may find you will have to adjust the angle of the edge too.

Hope that helps.
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Peter wrote:
It is worth mentioning that the two angles of slope wont meet *exactly* at the apex due to the relatively small number of decimal places the measure tool will display.
This can be increase to 4 decimals in the Working Units dialog box.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
lasse
Booster
Hi. Thanks. It helps, but it isn't "point" accurate. Kind of a long way around to get to the objective, plus all the minor adjoining face cleanup as well. I would hope that at some point there would be a way to edit by points (nodes) as opposed to edges and pivots only. Seems like too much of a workaround for me.

L
(suffering updates since v.4.55)
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
Peter wrote:
It is worth mentioning that the two angles of slope wont meet *exactly* at the apex due to the relatively small number of decimal places the measure tool will display.
This can be increase to 4 decimals in the Working Units dialog box.

David
I bet if you zoom into the apex there will still be five nodes instead of one, no matter how many decimal places you set it to!
Learn and get certified!