Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

MacBook Pro & AC 10 Intel Issue

Anonymous
Not applicable
If anyone else is using AC10 for MActel on a Macbook pro, I'd like to hear if you are having this problem, or is it an intel/GS bug.
We had a project ported from 9 that had a problem of views that would disappear. Not just the quickviews, but all content in the views would vanish. Model information remained intact. There would be an ominous warning upon opening the file that said something like "the contents of views XXX could not be found." and those views would be empty. There had been a crash earlier and then I started getting messages everytime I saved or published that it was unable to find "section X" or "elevation y" Tech support blamed it on a bad port from AC9 and the crashes.
Yesterday, we started a new native AC10 document, used it on our Mac Pro (intel) towers. Today I opened it and worked on it and upon closing, started to get the same messages; no crashes. Is this a Macbook pro issue? A Memory Issue? It seems that the Macbook is the culprit, but I could be wrong. Any enlightenment would be great.
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Although I have only had my new 17" for a couple of weeks, and a not had a large volumn of work through, I have had no crashes yet with either fresh or ported from 9 files. I will, however watch really close as the new files will be growing very quickly.

Lew Bishop
Jon Worden Architects
MacBook Pro 2.16 17"
OS X 10.4.7 AC 10 987
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have had no problems of any significance so far with my MacBook Pro. The only problem of any importance I have run into yet with moving a project from 9 to 10 was with mis-referenced section markers. This was unrelated to the OS or hardware as it was consistent (in the one project) on several machines.

I have seen alerts of missing section data over the years but that has only been when the computer crashed before saving newly created sections.

From what you describe I wonder if it is a problem with your particular MacBook Pro. Did you add 3rd party memory?

Do you still have the data intact in the previous AC9 file? You could publish the views as modules and import them into the appropriate views in 10.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've found two problems :first the navigator window closes once I start using a tool.

Then, eventually the 3d window begins to leave generated ghost lines; the cursor becomes a dot and it's registration lines no longer appear.
__archiben
Booster
mark wrote:
I've found two problems :first the navigator window closes once I start using a tool.
once you click in a working window? you have 'stick around' turned off! right-click the top of the navigator and deactivate 'auto-hide navigator'
Then, eventually the 3d window begins to leave generated ghost lines; the cursor becomes a dot and it's registration lines no longer appear.
which 3D window? internal or openGL? could it be more of a graphics card issue - not normally something that macs get affected with though. what happens if you 'rebuild and regenerate' the 3D window (hold down ALT before invoking the 'rebuild' command).

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm in open GL when it has happened and I have entourage, safari, and acrobat open too. With 1gb of ram, could it be a memory issue ?

I've not had it happend again since I posted, but will observe when I do.

~/archiben wrote:
mark wrote:
once you click in a working window? you have 'stick around' turned off! right-click the top of the navigator and deactivate 'auto-hide navigator'
which 3D window? internal or openGL? could it be more of a graphics card issue - not normally something that macs get affected with though. what happens if you 'rebuild and regenerate' the 3D window (hold down ALT before invoking the 'rebuild' command).

~/archiben