BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Major Railing Bug - Please Confirm

kittonian
Beginner
Spent the entire morning trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, only to find that this seems to be a pretty major bug in the railing tool.

Issue:
Associative railings using panels and inner posts do not respect the "left offset from previous post" or any of the offsets for that matter. Nothing changes.

Workaround:
If you draw a static railing, everything works as it should and all offsets are respected.

I had created custom panels and needed to use the offset values in order to line everything up correctly for the staircase. However, with or without custom panels, this bug seems to be rampant. The moment I drew the railing statically everything started working as it should.
ArchiCAD 25 | Cinema 4D R23
12-Core Mac Pro (2 x 3.46 6-Core Xeon, 64GB DDR3)
OS X 11.2.3
AMD Sapphire Pulse Radeon 5700 XT (8gb)
12 REPLIES 12
kittonian
Beginner
Update:

When adding inner posts and specifying an exact dimension from previous post the custom railing panel does not fit in this width.

To reproduce:

1. Create a railing with a single inner post with a distance from previous set to 2'-6"
2. Create a custom railing panel out of a slab turned into a morph that is exactly 2'-6" wide
3. Edit your railing to include your new custom railing panel and see that it does not fit into the 2'-6" width but instead fits into a 2'-4" width (adjust your distance from previous on your inner post to be 2'-4" to confirm)
OS X 11.2.3
Lingwisyer
Guru
Works fine for me, both static and associative. I am using metric though.

If you open your custom panel object, does the vert{2} section form the correct sized shape?
vert{2}	           0,            0,        -0.02, 1	!	#1   VertId=0
vert{2}	           0,            0,            0, 1	!	#2   VertId=0
vert{2}	           0,         0.76,        -0.02, 1	!	#3   VertId=0
vert{2}	           0,         0.76,            0, 1	!	#4   VertId=0
vert{2}	        0.76,            0,        -0.02, 1	!	#5   VertId=0
vert{2}	        0.76,            0,            0, 1	!	#6   VertId=0
vert{2}	        0.76,         0.76,        -0.02, 1	!	#7   VertId=0
vert{2}	        0.76,         0.76,            0, 1	!	#8   VertId=0

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
kittonian
Beginner
Looks like (at least from your attached photo) that it does not work for you either and your panel is overlapping your inner posts.
OS X 11.2.3
Lingwisyer
Guru
kittonian wrote:
Looks like (at least from your attached photo) that it does not work for you either and your panel is overlapping your inner posts.

Nope, my inner posts are effectively ZERO, just to show where they are. If I make them overlap, you see an extra line in the adjacent panel. The panel is 760mm (approx 2'6") and the inner post spacing is the same.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi kittonian,

Thank you for posting this issue here, and I'm sorry about this experience!

I will have our Technical Support team take a look at this.
It might be a defect with the software though, but nevertheless, I will reach out to you again here once we conclude the investigation.

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
kittonian wrote:
Spent the entire morning trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, only to find that this seems to be a pretty major bug in the railing tool.

Issue:
Associative railings using panels and inner posts do not respect the "left offset from previous post" or any of the offsets for that matter. Nothing changes.

Workaround:
If you draw a static railing, everything works as it should and all offsets are respected.

I had created custom panels and needed to use the offset values in order to line everything up correctly for the staircase. However, with or without custom panels, this bug seems to be rampant. The moment I drew the railing statically everything started working as it should.
Hi,

I am very sorry for the long wait! I think we have found out the issue that is causing this. But to make sure that they are the same, could you send me a sample file which shows this issue? If they are a match, then I'm afraid we are having a pretty big issue here!

Thank you very much for your help! I am looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Tincan561
Contributor
I am having a similar problem with railings. However I have no workaround. it doesn't matter whether the railing is static or associative, as soon as I turn a corner AC does not recognize "Right Offset from Inner Post". Can someone help me with this?

In the attached png file, both railing have the same settings and a 3" inset for the panel. As soon as I turn a corner the right inset disappears.
Archicad 26 Macbook Pro, Ventura 13.6.3
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Tincan561 wrote:
I am having a similar problem with railings. However I have no workaround. it doesn't matter whether the railing is static or associative, as soon as I turn a corner AC does not recognize "Right Offset from Inner Post". Can someone help me with this?

In the attached png file, both railing have the same settings and a 3" inset for the panel. As soon as I turn a corner the right inset disappears.
Hi,

Thank you for sharing the issue and I am very sorry sorry about the issue!

Unfortunately, I was unable to replicate this issue on Archicad 23 INT build 5005. First I would like to make sure that Archicad is updated.

From your signature, I believe you have Archicad 23 installed. Which language version are you using? Can it be replicated with a brand new file? Do you mind sharing an example file with me for further investigation?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Tincan561
Contributor
Please send me a private email and I can send you a link to the file.
Archicad 26 Macbook Pro, Ventura 13.6.3
Learn and get certified!