Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Make Archicad elements disappear

gdford
Advisor

I am merging many objects from a consultant that all come in on the same story. Their elevation is correct but I need to see them on specific stories.  I dont want to mess with these objects because  I don't want to be responsible for an error. So I have the objects set to "show on all stories" so I can see them everywhere, except I only want to see specific ones on specific stories. Short of creating 40 layers to control visibility for the  merged objects a I thought there must be another way...

I created a classification system called "visibility" with two subclasses ON and OFF

Using a graphic override I check for OFF, and for elements set to "OFF" I set the line type to wide spaced dots and the pen to a pen table location with a white pen and a weight of 0.0

It works.
Does anyone see a problem with this?

Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
5 REPLIES 5

I had this issue with a steel fabricator sending information from Tekla. It seemed it be because Archicad has storeys where’s Tekla does not. It may be worth asking the consultant if they can export in a different way so that the objects are are assigned to relevant levels that coordinate with your storeys so they appear correctly in Archicad. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)
DGSketcher
Legend

@gdford Have you considered 3D document from plan? If the objects are 3D and set to correct elevations, you will be able to control their visibility by setting the cut planes to suit. These views can then be merged with your layouts, if that is your objective?

If they are just 2D symbols then you could use a large mask with holes cut to expose the symbols to suit each story and again merge in layout.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Barry Kelly

If you know what storey you want the object on, you can just select it, right click and choose 'Relink Home Storey'.

Then set it to display on home storey only.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Yep - I have been using cutplanes and layers - Thanks for the suggestions

Gary Ford
Archicad 12-26
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000

I this case I do not want to re-story the imported objects - thanks for the suggestion.

Gary Ford
Archicad 12-26
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000