BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Make adjustments in elevations

KeesW
Advocate
Wouldn't it be useful if shapes could adjusted in elevation. I don't mean just stretching its height or copying elements. What about also being about to stretch or contract length such as I need to do in my bottom rail of this stair? And what about being able to adjust the shape of the top rail in the elevation view so that I can properly, and easily, line things up? How do I shape the top of the handrail in Archicad without removing it, converting it into correctly shaped library object and then putting it back? There are many, many times when the ability to shape, in-situ, a 3D object in its elevation view would save a lot of time.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
3 REPLIES 3
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think this is not a matter of Elevation Viewpoints, but rather a matter of how the GDL Object is scripted. Currently these Stairs are scripted so that you cannot make these adjustments. If they were scripted that way I think you could make those changes in 3D and in Section/Elevation Viewpoints as well.
But I agree, it would be nice to have these editing capabilities.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
KeesW
Advocate
Thank Laszlo. I think the issue goes further than scripting - it is a Graphisoft philosophy that requires a 3D approach when, at times, a 2D approach is faster and more convenient. My handrail is a 3D object and one can select it in a 2D plan or 2D elevational view. If one can select it, one should be able to alter it in the selected view instead of having to recreate the modified shape via making it a new 3D object. My argument would also apply to building elevations - especially with Architect's propensiities to create startling profiles!

Morphed objects can be selected in plans and elevations, and can then be altered. Something similar in non-morph objects is what I am thinking.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, but when you modify a Morph, you always modify its 3D geometry.

Anyway, maybe your best bet in this situation is to place lines and fills over the 3D geometry in the Elevation to achieve the 2D look you need.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!