BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Making object from whole building missing parts

Rick Thompson
Expert
I am making a site rendering, so saving buildings form the 3D view as a library part. It is not including roofs, slabs, and maybe a few other things.. columns (from column tool). Walls and objects are all fine, but unusable without the roof and floors????

Anyone have any suggestions?

hanks
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
11 REPLIES 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Is this happening with all files or only with a specific file?
As far as I know it should include all 3D element geometry in the created GDL Object.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Rick Thompson
Expert
I've tried a couple, and the second one had no 3d at all. The object said to check the script. So, it got worst!

thanks
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hello,

It should not have problems with saving all types of elements, but I am not sure what could be wrong based on this info. Anyways, generally I recommend turning everything into Morphs before saving them as objects (not just in this case, but whenever you save objects).
If that doesn't help, I can take a look at your project if you send it to me in a PLA format (save a 3D view that you are trying to save and a sample object so that I would know what to look for).

Other than this, I am not sure why you would need to save the entire model as an object for rendering (I am just curious).

Regards,
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
Rick Thompson
Expert
Thanks for the offer. I will get something together and send you. I am doing a combined site rendering. I wanted to show the topo as it is (steep) and place the houses at different heights. I ended up cheating and doing it flat.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
Mac M2 studio w/ display
RandyC
Advocate
I have tried this several times and end up grouping buildings as one group so that I can move them around to fit the contours, There seems to be a limit to Archicad creating a library part when using an entire building - I have not tried converting to morphs as suggested , hopefully that will work.
ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 27 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Tried the workaround with convert to morph a while back (possibly AC19 / 20) and I recall it messed up some of the texture allignments / directions.

In the past when I've had to combine several buildings on a single site for presentation purpose, I worked with an in between PLN to publish the building as a module.

Several steps are needed:
1. set up a layer combination only exporting the layers you want to show. Typically these are your 3D modelling layers (including SEO!). You might want to exclude interior elements to keep polycount lower
2. set up a view of one story with this layer combination
3. make a publish set of this saved view to publish a multi story module file
4. make a new PLN file with only one story
5. place all the stories from the multi story MOD file one by one in this new PLN and move them in to place vertically
6. save the end result as a mod file (you can set up a publisher for this).
7. you can now place this single story mod file in your site model and move it vertically as you please

Since the original module is nested, all it takes for you to update from your single model file to your site presentation is to publish the original module again and update the 2nd module in your site file.

Remember that you have to manage attributes such as complex profiles, surfaces etc in your site presentation file along with your single model file.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Lingwisyer
Guru
Erwin, I think your method still runs into the issue of host file story heights, so if you have varying story heights between your buildings, you would need to unlink all of your walls, columns and such from the story above? Or does placing it in a single story file break those links?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Aussie John
Newcomer
Can you make an STL file instead.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Lingwisyer wrote:
Erwin, I think your method still runs into the issue of host file story heights, so if you have varying story heights between your buildings, you would need to unlink all of your walls, columns and such from the story above? Or does placing it in a single story file break those links?

Ling.
You can place the seperate stories unlinked.

There are some issues with SEO operators and targets needing to be on the same story, and possibly other things I'm forgetting, however they certainly weren't major modelling workarounds.

The idea is to make a single story module that you can place on any story in another pln to just have a proper 3D representation. Floor plans will not look correct.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Learn and get certified!