BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Managing embedded library parts

Stig Bengtsson
Participant
The ability to embed library parts was a great new feature in 13 but the current implementation is far from perfect:

a, When creating and embedding a new library part you can't see the content of the embedded library when you are in the "save library part" dialogue. A list of the already embedded parts is helpful if you want to replace an earlier version of an object and need to know the exact name to overwrite.

b, When saving a new part one has to click on "options" to make sure the format is editable GDL and not binary. A step easily forgotten, but the mistake becomes apparent when the project file size sky-rockets. In earlier versions the choice between editable GDL and binary was not hidden behind an options button and therefor easily monitored.

c, There is no way to find out which of the embedded objects are actually placed in the project. In earlier versions saving a .pla would extract all the placed library parts into a folder. In AC13 the embedded parts remain embedded wether placed or not when the project is saved as a .pla. The library manager needs to show if an embedded object is placed, similar to how the hotlink manager shows placed hotlinks.

Stig
Architect AIA RIBA SAR/MSA, Graphisoft Registered Consultant
AC19 SWE 7006
AC20 SWE 4012
4 REPLIES 4
Rafal SLEK
Enthusiast
Stig wrote:
a, When creating and embedding a new library part you can't see the content of the embedded library when you are in the "save library part" dialogue. A list of the already embedded parts is helpful if you want to replace an earlier version of an object and need to know the exact name to overwrite.
You are right. It is good that after saving name could be easily changed via Library manager. At least.
Stig wrote:
b, When saving a new part one has to click on "options" to make sure the format is editable GDL and not binary. A step easily forgotten, but the mistake becomes apparent when the project file size sky-rockets. In earlier versions the choice between editable GDL and binary was not hidden behind an options button and therefor easily monitored.
You are right. But in my opinion it should be switched by default to "Editable GDL Script" - Binary 3D data is almost unused. No need to unhide these from Option button.
MacBook Pro Retina 2019/2.4 GHz/Intel Core i9/32GB RAM/Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB/macOS 11.6/ArchiCAD 25vINT+POL/Maxwell Render 5.2/Twinmotion 2022.1
Stig Bengtsson
Participant
Rafal wrote:
Stig wrote:
You are right. But in my opinion it should be switched by default to "Editable GDL Script" - Binary 3D data is almost unused. No need to unhide these from Option button.
I have found that the default sometimes reverts to Binary in Teamwork projects. If you don't open the options menu to check you can create a 25Mb "Binary" object by mistake instead of a 25Kb "Editable GDL Script" object. Place 10 of those in a project and you have 250 extra Mb embedded in your file.

Stig
Architect AIA RIBA SAR/MSA, Graphisoft Registered Consultant
AC19 SWE 7006
AC20 SWE 4012
ztaskai
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Stig wrote:
a, When creating and embedding a new library part you can't see the content of the embedded library ...
Good point. I'll add it to our issue tracking system and start a conversation about it with the product designer of this function.
Stig wrote:
b, When saving a new part one has to click on "options" to make sure the format is editable GDL and not binary...
I guess it happened when standardizing the file dialogs for more conformity with the native OS dialogs. It is interesting nonetheless. I just let the designated product designer know about your opinion.
Stig wrote:
c, There is no way to find out which of the embedded objects are actually placed in the project...
Totally agree. This information is available in the Library Manager from AC14 on.

Best regards,
Zsolt Táskai
ArchiCAD Development - GDL Team
AC13, AC14 and upwards...
Erika Epstein
Booster
ztaskai wrote:
Stig wrote:
Stig wrote:
b, When saving a new part one has to click on "options" to make sure the format is editable GDL and not binary...
I guess it happened when standardizing the file dialogs for more conformity with the native OS dialogs. It is interesting nonetheless. I just let the designated product designer know about your opinion.
quote]

I filed a bug report on this recently.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Learn and get certified!