BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Marquee from elevation in 3D

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am working on a commercial project, and would like to show the services (modelled with MEP add-on) between the floor above and the ceiling below in a 3D view. I would like to include the ceiling and the floor slab, and all structural members in the area, including walls.

Can I use the marquee tool in elevation to define the area I would like to see in my 3D view. I have tried and only get a few hundred mm's of model before it gets clipped.

Using 3D cutaway is not a solution unless it can be more accurately controlled. When I activate the tool, it is hard to draw lines on the 14 levels worth of representations.

Can anyone help?
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
You can enter numbers in the 3D Cutaway dialog in order to be precise. And, remember - that this, along with the marquee, will all be saved if you save a view once you get it right.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Karl,

I take it that you can't use the marquee in elevation for this purpose

Thanks for the tip. It took me a while to figure how to numerically enter cutaway levels. Lots of tabbing involved if you haven't acticated the right field.

It is a shame that there is no way of selecting/deleting/moving cutaway lines once drawn, or am I missing something? I would love to be able to move these lines up each level easily, instead of deleting/recreating.
Karl Ottenstein
Right, no marquee other than floor plan and 3D, and you cannot move the cutaway lines.

An alternative that might work for you, if your computer is decent, is to create a slab that is big and thick enough to cover the area that you want to show, and do a solid element 'intersection' operation, and then move the slab up as needed to show other cuts.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Karl,

This is a good suggestion, and I will bear it in mind in the future.

You will notice by my signature that my computer can handle most things, however, this is a 14 level monster with full HVAC and sprinkler systems. I already have serious crash issues and memory issues....

My best memory usage to date is 6.5GB of RAM to date (screen capture attached)

I do not think ArchiCAD is designed to handle multistory complex models...

I just did the math, turned everything off except ceiling slabs and used the cutaway tool to show each level.

Thanks for your help
Learn and get certified!