Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

‘Master_GDL’ and Attribute Infection

RileyDA
Contributor

Hello-

We are experiencing a persistent ‘Master_GDL’ pollution problem in an embedded library on 2 Teamwork projects.

1. Somehow, a bunch of unwanted master_GDL objects appear in our embedded library.
  2. These master_GDL object create a ton of unwanted attributes (they are all italicized in the Attribute Manager).
  3. We delete all the unwanted attributes via the attribute manager and we delete all the master_GDL objects in the library manager
  4. We make sure to not copy and paste anything from other projects after we delete all the attribute/master_GDL pollution.
  5. Then after a few days or so, they randomly all reappear

How can we find the source of this pollution and stop it for good?

Thank you in advance!

6 REPLIES 6
DGSketcher
Legend

I would be looking at imported libraries or objects not supplied with AC. I do know from past experience that some bimobject.com parts were very good at creating unwanted attributes, but the objects could come from anywhere. Strip down your library to match a fresh installed AC and add back bit by bit until you identify the source.

If you are adding parts from older files or hotlinks, that may also bring in the attribute pollution.

Ring fence your model and nothing from outside gets added without prior testing or checking the source. 

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

some of these unwanted attribute creator macros can arrive in your embedded library via copy/paste operations. The worst one we have is from a loading dock leveler made by a company called Kling. It automatically creates 192 RAL colour Surfaces. We've been trying to kill it dead for 5 years and it persists despite our attempts at hygiene.

Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Barry Kelly

It doesn't have to be a MASTER_GDL script that creates attributes.

I found an object the other day that DEFINEed its own 'Empty' fill.

This was showing up in the attributes as well if I placed that object on plan - but only when the object is placed, unlike the MASTER_GDL that just have to be in a loaded library.

I have no idea how to track down these objects, I just found it by accident as I needed to amend it.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

@Barry Kelly wrote:

I have no idea how to track down these objects, I just found it by accident as I needed to amend it.

Barry.

If I had to track these down, I would probably use the LP_XMLConverter to convert all loaded libraries and library parts into XML, then I would search through all those XML files for "DEFINE" commands to find which Library Parts define attributes. That way I believe it would be possible to root out all those offending Library Parts.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

I never have gotten into that LP_XML_Converter.

I probably should look into it one day.

I have all of my library objects placed in a single file.

What I have done to discover what causes the extra attributes, is to copy and paste them in groups from that file into a file I know has 'clean' attributes (i.e. my template).

I can then see what creates the unwanted attributes and can edit them so they don't.

It is pretty tedious, but it works.

Fortunately I can concentrate on the 3rd party and Graphisoft object in my custom library, as all of my objects I am familiar with as I have scripted or amended them.

But even then, there was a few of my own objects that 'defined' attributes, that I didn't remember that I had done.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
dsfahsdfhn
Contributor

This is a horrendous problem and most likely a bug that Graphisoft refuse to amend...!

How come we don't have a proper purge tool or even some 'recommended, but unofficial' way to deal with this?

I've noticed through testing that copying over even a simple line from a file 'infected' with these attributes that all the 'junk data' is pulled through into the clean file.

Hundreds of materials (INNVEK Piironen, Martela, HAG), fills, even some line types - obviously from objects that have inadvertently been brought into files over the last decade of working within ArchiCAD in this office, which being small (<10 pax), doesn't have formal BIM coordination or discipline.

The worst thing apart from the attributes constantly being full of junk (adding wasted seconds to every material change needed in a project) is the simple mere act of copying (Command/Ctrl-C) any item, takes around 15-20 seconds on the files in my office. That is a horrendous waste of time for my staff to constantly deal with!

The easiest way to tell if your file is 'infected' with the attribute junk "virus" data is to just copy something, and see how long it takes. If the PC has to show the loading mouse icon, you're in trouble...

I've manually PLA'd my library and searched every xml and gdl file  contained therein for DEFINE commands and come up with nothing, so this doesn't appear to be the culprit either. They are somehow further embedded in the files.

I've cleaned a file manually (as well as our templates) and it appears to be okay for now after hours and hours of troubleshooting, but I can't do that to every single project file in the office that is already live (30-40 projects right now, let alone legacy ones), and I know as soon as one of my team (typically the Director!!) copy/pastes from an older file, we're wrecked again. I've also tidied up the library, but of course the problem arises on all the already live projects...

Come on Graphisoft - why haven't you sorted this yet?

We're running ArchiCAD 25 and 27 both on Mac/PC with the same results, and the problem is easily reproducible.

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!