Parametric design
About Rhino & Grasshopper and PARAM-O.

Materials in Grasshopper

Nic Tulban
Booster
I deconstruct a composite wall. The result could be a lot of breps, each for each material in the composite. Has anybody any idea how to select the brep with a certain material, to select it in order to continue working on it?
2 REPLIES 2
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I don't think it is possible to deconstruct a Composite or Complex Profile element of ARCHICAD into its Skins/Components using the Deconstruct Components in Grasshopper.
The Deconstruct Components will take the whole geometry of the Wall (or another element) and convert it into a series of surfaces. See this clip for explanation:

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I have realized that maybe there is a way this can be achieved after all.
It can be achieved if elements can be broken down into their skins/components.
This is possible to do by exporting the project file as IFC with specific settings, then opening that IFC. This is the post where I detail how to do that:

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=69777&p=310950#p310950

I think this IFC trick can help you break down the element into individual skins and then you can bring the individual skins into Grasshopper. The one caveat is that after you open the exported IFC back into ARCHICAD, individual skins will be converted into Morphs or Objects, depending on IFC Import settings, but hopefully, that is not a problem when getting them into Grasshopper.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27