Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Mesh plan cut

redmonki
Newcomer
Our office has been struggling with meshes and their representation in plan specifically the cut plane through the mesh. The work around of creating morphs and subsequent fills is really tiresome given the size of the sites we are working on and the design iterations we move through.

Has their been any break through's on this front? Is AC 24 planning to implement this at all?
7 REPLIES 7
Marc H
Advisor
Can you clarify the issue or provide an example?
“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC27 USA on 16” 2019 MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) running Sonoma OS + extended w/ (2) 32" ASUS ProArt PAU32C (4K) Monitors
strangeday
Booster
Hi redmonki, if I understand your problem, you need the plan section of the terrain that reflect the cutting height at a specific floor, as ad example for a completely or partial underground floor(a building partially nested into a sloped hill is the most famous example),
in this case I use a workaround, mixing two view on layout, the architectural floor plan, from plan view and the sitework(using layer combination) from a 3d cutted view, to reflect the real situation at a given height,

clearly this is a workaround and a better management of the terrain would be very welcome, anyway i found better to maintain the mesh instead of transformation into a morph.

About AC24, only dev and betatester know....for now the only clear thing is the addition of the MEP modeler and a substantial delay compared to last year
AC 6.5-26 | Latest build | Win 10 Pro 64 | AMD TreadRipper 1950x 3.4 Ghz | 64 Gb RAM | AMD Radeon 5700 XT 8GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
strangeday wrote:
About AC24, only devs and beta testers know....for now the only clear thing is the addition of the MEP modeler and a substantial delay compared to last year

What do you mean? ARCHICAD 23 came out in September last year.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
runxel
Legend
@redmonki
The best trick I know is using a Morph plane @ the cutting plane height and doing a SEO with the mesh being the operator (!) and the morph the target. Op is set to intersection
You will be amazed how great that works!
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
strangeday
Booster
Hi Laszlo, I probably said badly, I was referring to feature set presentation of AC 24 that is delayed from the usual timeframe of early May, the mid of May for AC23 if I remember well.
AC 6.5-26 | Latest build | Win 10 Pro 64 | AMD TreadRipper 1950x 3.4 Ghz | 64 Gb RAM | AMD Radeon 5700 XT 8GB
Marc H
Advisor
redmonki wrote:
Our office has been struggling with meshes and their representation in plan specifically the cut plane through the mesh. The work around of creating morphs and subsequent fills is really tiresome given the size of the sites we are working on and the design iterations we move through. . . .
I'm not sure if this would be any more effective, but how about using cutting planes, view perpendicular, and saving a view? I believe, after review of the above replies, this is what Strangeday is suggesting.
“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC27 USA on 16” 2019 MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) running Sonoma OS + extended w/ (2) 32" ASUS ProArt PAU32C (4K) Monitors
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
strangeday wrote:
Hi Laszlo, I probably said badly, I was referring to feature set presentation of AC 24 that is delayed from the usual timeframe of early May, the mid of May for AC23 if I remember well.

OK, I get it.
By the way, this may answer your question:

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=69922
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27