Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Migration from 22 to 23

Kinga Wolter
Newcomer
Hello,

I am trying to migrate our company's template file to 23, and apparently it seems to be much more work than it used to be.

We have dropped in objects in the work space we use on a daily basis with the perfect settings and we also have dozens of saved favorites (doors and windows).

I always managed to keep the libraries down to ArchiCAD, MEP and Accessories, I would not like to drag migration libraries along for future projects.

The issues I have to deal with now are:

1. All favorite doors and windows have a MISSING Dimension Marker, does this mean I have to go back and re-save all favorites every year in the future?

2. The MEP library did not migrate either, does this mean we need to load the new library, and replace objects one by one?

3. The additional surface catalog is not built in to the ArchiCAD 23 Library, there has to be a better way to replace all with the new equivalents. (I understand this may make sense for some to keep custom settings.)

Before version 23 migration was a click and a couple of objects (mostly Equipment) to find, pick up and inject parameters to the new library part and we ended up with 3 libraries only and a clean file.

Please explain why this changed and if there is a workaround.
Thank you in advance!

Kinga
Kinga Wolter
Project Director / BIM Manager

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.5 GHz, 32 GB RAM
NVidia Quadro M4000 1GB, 250 GB HDD, WIN10 PRO
User since AC13
8 REPLIES 8
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Kinga,

Thank you very much for sharing the issue here and I am very sorry about the experience!

I have never seen any reports like this so far. I will have our Technical Support Team to investigate it further. In the meantime, I am wondering if you can share a sample of your project/template file, with which we can perform the migration in-house? If needed I can get you a link where you can securely drop your file in, please let me know here in the thread or by Private Message.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Kinga Wolter
Newcomer
Hello Minh,

thank you for getting back to me.

Since I posted this, I solved two of the issues though.

1. Adding the MEP 23 library and deleting MEP 22 actually did the migration for me, and objects kept all their settings, so that is nice.

2. Regarding the Surface catalog, I started using it last year, I just learned it won't migrate. I can link the often used materials back to ArchiCAD 23 library's surfaces, we don't need the additional library, since we create project specific surfaces anyway.

3. The door and window dimension marker is a real problem though, please send me a link and I'll share our template for you to check.

Thanks for all your help,
Kinga
Kinga Wolter
Project Director / BIM Manager

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.5 GHz, 32 GB RAM
NVidia Quadro M4000 1GB, 250 GB HDD, WIN10 PRO
User since AC13
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Kinga,

I have sent you a private message with the link included where you can drop the file.

Looking forward to having a look at it!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

For those who might interest in this issue, I would like to announce the result of the investigation here:

There were some changes with the Window and Door Markers in USA version, which prevents them from being migrated to AC23. Here is the summary of all the changes:

Window Markers:
- Builder Dimension - It was deleted from the Library. The 'Window Stamp' element should be used instead.
- W Marker - INT version, stays in the package.
- Window Marker_NCS - It was deleted from the Library. The 'W Marker' element should be used instead.

Door Markers:
- Builder Dimension - It was deleted from the Library. The 'Door Stamp' element should be used instead.
- D Marker - INT version, stays in the package.
- Door Identifier NCS - Some developments done but no migration cut.
- Door Marker USA - There were incompatible changes that could not be migrated. Forward and backward migration was cut.

Unfortunately, due to these changes, you will need to set up your template to have the new markers saved in Favorites.

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
The window stamp and door stamp marker do not allow FIFI nomenclature. I don't need the ' and " symbols on the markers. There is no added value to that. It is just an infuriating step backwards. If i copy a wall with a window from a 22 file the builder dimension 22 marker is available to that window only. Why can't I make it available to all windows?

This is terrible. In NA we use the format FiFi and none of the supplied markers after Builder Dimensions 22 show it right. I am on 25 now and still a struggle. 

I agree it is bad that an automatic migration solution was not provided.  But, I'm wondering what you cannot do correctly?  Both the new window stamp and the window marker will show FFI dimensions (ditto door).  What would you like to see vs what you are seeing?  (Screenshot please.)

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

In Archicad 25 I cannot see the marker that will show FiFi format for labelling the doors or windows. For example, in North America, we typically use 2'-6" x 3'-0" in the form of 2630 for example. I can use inches only or feet-inches by feet-inches, but not FiFi.