BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Mimic Alvar Aalto drywall

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was looking at one of the more technical drawings by Alvar Aalto. Main floor plan of Villa Mairea.

I have noticed this before but he, or his staff, produced very elegant and precise drawings. He manages to create depth in his drawings without the use of greyscale, but with gradient shadows and a little bit of texture. Having gradient shadows (in facade) I have asked my local Graphisoft Support about many times and always they say it can't be done.

So... today I tried to create a fill with a bit of texture in it

If you look at the image you will see the way Aalto draw his drywall (in plan view) is the same way as he draws slate, but with a bit of texture (dots) between the stones. Is there a way to mimic this fill in ArchiCAD? I tried, but with no success...
2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly
You can create a 'Symbol' fill for the dots.
I would use small lines with a thick pen.

You could even add in the stones for the wall, but you will end up with a repeating pattern.
And the edges will just cut the stones square.
I don't see any repetition or cut stones in these images.
So it was either all manually drawn or maybe a fill with just the 'dots' was placed for the wall and then white fill polygons manually drawn for the stones, set display order to be above the fill.

Have a look at the symbol fills and you should see some default 'fieldstone' fills.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Hmooslechner
Rockstar
Drywalls - something like this? German, but just turn off the audio.. Its complex but graphically in Your intended direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5f91ywriSQ

If there seems to be some interest, i could create the same in my broken english..smile.
AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!