Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Minimum Selection area - peculiar behavior

Dwight
Newcomer
I've been calculating the number of .25mm optical fibers required to fill a 25.5mm diameter collar.

By making a matrix of .25mm circles, I have covered a 25.5 mm circle.

Attempting a selection of the small circles extending beyond the big circle, the multi-sided selection marquee also selects small circles extending beyond the selection marquee by a factor of three of four extra circles.

It is like there is a minimum selection area similar to 'gravity'.

Is this real? Or am i doing something wrong?

See what i mean by downloading this:

http://www.mediafire.com/?gorfqx45yqqy107
Dwight Atkinson
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think Archicad has trouble with minute accuracy. Recently I have been drawing some components for light fittings that require fractions of a millimeter (for ""laserrr"" cutting) and I often have to enlarge the pieces by a factor of 10 to be able to draw them accurately enough.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I just tried it and had no problems. I just made an array of close packed 0.25 mm diameter circles and the marquee tool deleted selections accurately as one would expect with none of the overflow shown in your video.

ArchiCAD does seem to be a bit finicky at sub-mm dimensions. Some dialogs won't accept values less than 1mm. The magic wand setting is one of these. Perhaps this is related to your problem.
Dwight
Newcomer
please repeat with multi-facet selection tool and see.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is what I did...
tiny bubbles.jpg
Dwight
Newcomer
ML: I can replicate your solution using a magic wand marquee against a fill drawn against the larger circle.

But NOT the selection tool as I originally posted.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup. Confirmed. The arrow tool selects a larger range than the area clicked. I just tried it with a plain rectangular selection and the selected elements extend to 1 mm beyond the extents of the rectangle.
tiny bubbles 2.jpg