BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Sustainable design
About EcoDesigner, Energy Evaluation, Life Cycle Assessment, etc.

Mirrors-reflection

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone!
I am a Hungarian student of a secondary school, and I plan a high school in archicad 16 for a school work. I want it to be passive house, so it doesn’t need heating.
If I run ecodesigner, it shows, that the building needs only in december some plus energie. I want to solve the problem with mirrors. I can place some mirrors on the ground, and I set them thatway, they in december can reflect the light into the building across the windows. The problem is that, in the Archicad, the ecodesigner doesn’t count the reflected light. So I dont know count that, how many mirror do I need.
I know its a very special problem, my teachers said, I should write to the team of archicad, I hope here somebody can help me.
7 REPLIES 7
Karl Ottenstein
This possibility is not addressed by the energy solution in ArchiCAD. If it might be some day, you'll have long graduated. 🙂
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
This possibility is not addressed by the energy solution in ArchiCAD. If it might be some day, you'll have long graduated. 🙂
Thank you for your answer. Anyway, I wont try to do it with ArchiCad. This way I'm going to count it without the program.
Anonymous
Not applicable
see if it is good enough and easy enough for you. Artlantis, a separate program from Abvent, is perhaps the easiest to learn and use and achieve very good results. It, too, has a free trial.
Karl Ottenstein
Armani22 wrote:
see if it is good enough and easy enough for you. Artlantis, a separate program from Abvent, is perhaps the easiest to learn and use and achieve very good results. It, too, has a free trial.
He is trying to reflect heat for an energy study. Artlantis is of no help there.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This is not regarding the calculation of this energy gain, but a differnt thought:

I am not sure how much this mirror thing is a good idea designwise.
I mean, I stand at the Window of my Living Room and get blinded by the sun reflecting from mirrors on the ground in front of the Windows. That doesn't sound too pleasant to me.
Then there is the point of how fast and how easily those mirrors will get dirty laying on the ground, which will cause them to be much less efficient.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Barry Kelly
And unless they are motorised to track with the sun then you will only get a few minutes of sun through your window on a few days each year.
I like Secret95's effort for solving the problem though.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
matjashka
Enthusiast
Like anything else in the world, it's not a totally new or crazy idea.

I've seen a presentation that covered sustainable options for bringing extra natural light further into the room or office space. One solution was labeled as "light shelf" which was a flat continuous piece with matte white finish, located between the transom and the main window, on the *interior* side.

Direct rays die on the floor or hit working surfaces while blinding people, a shelf like this directs more light toward the ceiling, which eventually bounces it back down.

Here, I have a link for you: http://www.archiexpo.com/prod/kawneer/light-shelves-natural-lighting-52158-820812.html but this is just one example, I've seen more of it.

Have fun!
Matt Krol [LinkedIn]
BHMS Architects and Planners, Chicago
AC 10 ... 26 USA
Learn and get certified!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!