Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Missing line in complex profile

Barry Kelly
Does anyone know how to make this line appear in a complex profile?

The only way I can do it is to split the two fills apart slightly or drop the back inside node of the bottom fill down so the top surface is broken into 2 surfaces at slightly different angles to each other.

They are both different fills set to use building materials (which are also different).
Legacy mode is off.

I know a node dividing an edge won't show a line if the 2 surfaces are in the same plane still but these 2 surfaces are at right angles and they are completely separate fills.

Not a big problem as I can get around it but shouldn't there be a line there?

Barry.

complex_profile_line.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
7 REPLIES 7
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Barry:

Have you tried changing 3D Window Settings > Contours > Best? It made a difference here.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Barry Kelly
David wrote:
Barry:

Have you tried changing 3D Window Settings > Contours > Best? It made a difference here.

David
Yep set to 'Best' already.

I checked in 16 and the same profile is file - line shows perfectly.
So I turned 'Legacy Mode' back on in 17 and the line appeared.
Turn legacy mode off and the line is gone again

Completely different fills and all set to use Building Materials which are therefore different as well.
Strange that it is just the bottom line of the top fill in the profile that disappears when it touches the bottom fill.
Separate the fills and the line shows.

The best solution I can come up with at the moment is to slightly break the top edge of the bottom fill to create two edges at an angle - exaggerated in the image attached.

Barry.
complex_profile_line-2.jpg
Versions 6.5 to 27
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Barry:

A simpler Profile Wall (2 fills stacked, lower fill wider) works correctly in Best mode, regardless of the Legacy Mode. Adding a 3rd fill removes the line, so it may be related to the complexity of the Profiled Wall. So based on your screen shot, try a copy of the Bad Wall with just the 2 stacked fills (no other fills behind these fills).

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Barry Kelly
David wrote:
Barry:

A simpler Profile Wall (2 fills stacked, lower fill wider) works correctly in Best mode, regardless of the Legacy Mode. Adding a 3rd fill removes the line, so it may be related to the complexity of the Profiled Wall. So based on your screen shot, try a copy of the Bad Wall with just the 2 stacked fills (no other fills behind these fills).

David
Cutting back to just the 2 fills still doesn't work for me.
But playing a bit more if I turn off the Building Material and split the top surface of the bottom fill and assign 2 separate surface materials then the line will show.

So what is the use of the "Building Material" setting other than another way to say use uniform materials on all edges (for which there is already a radio button to do this)?

I think I will report this as a bug and see what GS say.
2 separate walls touching but with different BMs will show a joining line.
The same should happen in the CP.

Barry.
profile_line.jpg
Versions 6.5 to 27
Marton Kiss
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Barry, David,

we checked the situation here and this is definitely something we need to optimize. A report has been filed for our dev team. Thanks for bringing this up.

Regards,
Marton
Marton Kiss
VP, Product Success
GRAPHISOFT
Barry Kelly
Great.
Thank you.
Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Marton wrote:
we checked the situation here and this is definitely something we need to optimize. A report has been filed for our dev team. Thanks for bringing this up.
Thanks, good to know.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture