BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Missing wall section line when slab touches it

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,

I feel like the solution to this is so easy but I can't figure it out. Please see attached. I have built a half height joinery piece made out of the slab tool and it backs up against the wall. Where the two objects touch, the section cut line of the wall disappears. Currently in the attached screenshot, there is a few things going on:

- The wall is on the "new status" and the Renovation Filter has an override which says any new status objects have a solid grey fill.
- The joinery piece is also on the "new status", but I have a Graphic Override which says that any element that is on the "Joinery" layer (which the joinery piece is), has a solid khaki fill and 0.05mm outline.

I have played with Intersection Group numbers, "Skin Separators", different building material strength / weaknesses, different overrides, but anytime these two objects touch in section, the line of the wall disappears where it touches.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Ben

Capture.JPG
12 REPLIES 12
Barry Kelly
I have just had a bit of a play too and it seems that no matter what you do the Priority Based Connection between the slab and the wall will always cut the line from the wall if the edges touch.
Regardless of BM strengths, layer priorities - even display order.

The only way I can stop it is to turn the 'Legacy' mode on so it behaves the way it did before PBC (version 16 and earlier).
But that means you will lose the benefits of the Building Materials and the automatic connections.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Barry.

I had a look at the ARCHICAD help guide

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-20/archicad-20-reference-guide/elements_of_the_vir...

At the bottom of the page there is an example "Coffee Maker Object on the Counter Object: Same Cut Fill vs Different Cut Fill"

It seems that the help guide is suggestion a solution (which seems identical to what I am currently facing) that "If you want to retain the dividing line, change both element layers to Intersection Group 0 (or place them on two different Layer Intersection Groups)."

I have tried this - but still the line is not showing. Any ideas why?
Barry Kelly
It seems the cut line thickness has something to do with it.
A thicker line will cut the thinner line away.

I would guess that your graphic override for the slab with the 0.05mm outline is thicker than the cut line for the wall.

Try reducing the GO line thickness by changing the pen or adjust the actual pen thickness if you can without affecting anything else it is used for.
Or maybe set the GO to change pen colours only.

Barry.
wall_slab_join.jpg
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry - I'm getting confused. The "joinery" is made out of a slab tool. Are you referring to the joinery "slab" (in khaki) fill or the black fill slab?

Either way - I've had a further test. And I believe the "Skin Separator" in the Graphic Override setting is the culprit. See below screenshots.

But it seems like I am stuck with a dilemma of seemingly having to choose between either showing ALL "skin separators" or "none" - where I was hoping to achieve a mixture through a creative use of Graphic Overrides & Layers, but, have been unsuccessful thus far.

Essentially what I am hoping for is that in a Section drawing, the "main structure" (e.g. walls, roof, slabs) have a seamless connection when adjoining. Secondary objects (joinery, fixtures & fittings), when adjoined to any other object, s hows the "skin separator".
skin seperators 1.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is the "Skin Separator" tick box option
Barry Kelly
I am talking about the slab for your furniture.
You have a GO that is changing the fill and outline pen colour.
That outline pen colour is (I think) too thick.
You can't really see it in your image because it is the same colour as the fill.

Either use a different pen colour that is thinner than the cut line pen of your wall or adjust the thickness of that pen in the pen settings (if it is not going to upset anything else you have used it for).

Or you could try to change the GO to set the pen colour only and not the line thickness - not sure if that will work though.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
There are certain rules to determine which line will remain in model views (like Section or 3DD) as Barry describes. Thicker line and solid line for example. I see that our documentation is a bit light on with this topic, so we'll try to improve the help guide to better explain what happens.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
DGSketcher
Legend
I have usually fixed this by moving the objects in the display order to get the thicker line to take precedence.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think I've solved it (at least to a degree I'm happy with)....
It was a combination of Renovation Filter Graphic Overrides (had to select skin selectors ON), building materials, and also the Section Settings Model display.

Thanks everyone for their replies.
Learn and get certified!