Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Modeling an overlapping stair. Is it possible?

carloshcp
Participant
Hello!

I'm trying to model a stair that overlaps itself while it goes from one floor to another.
Archicad doesn't let me continue drawing the stair when it reaches the part from below.

I'm attaching an image to help understand my problem.
Is it possible to model only one stair or will I have to use 2 of them?

Tks,
Carlos
9 REPLIES 9
Eduardo Rolon
You'll need 2.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, you will need to model it using 2 Stair elements, this is a limitation of the Stair tool in Archicad.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Eduardo Rolon
Not necessarily a limitation. Just the way it works.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, true. It is just something some people may consider a limitation (myself not included).
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Hmooslechner
Rockstar
Not overlapping? Of course, its a limitation. No user can find any useful point on that. Its just a decision of the programmers to make their lives easier, but i never heard of any benefits for the user. What shall that be good for - just to make it harder on special designs for the user.. And by the way - Rails can overlap with no problems. Nearly no problems except displaying it in different stories. But that would also be solveable.
AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would say that it is a limitation that results in most cases in incorrect model when someone makes such stair in 2 pieces.
In most cases, the Riser Height is an uneven number and when you have to make 2 such stair that match, they never really do.

Say you have a height of 5000 mm and you need a spiral staircase. In many countries, it is permitted to have such "long" evacuation spiral staircase, but in the newer versions of Archicad, it is impossible to create it in one piece.

How do you do it then? Say you have 29 risers and a riser height of 172,413793... mm. There is no way to divide such stair and match it perfectly. So yes, I would definitely say that it is a limitation.
PVBergkrantz
Expert
mbl wrote:
How do you do it then? Say you have 29 risers and a riser height of 172,413793... mm. There is no way to divide such stair and match it perfectly. So yes, I would definitely say that it is a limitation.
What kind of stair producer do you use with that accuracy, I'd love a business card.
| AC 25 Int | Win10 | i7-7800X | 32 GB | GeForce RTX 2060 6GB |

Anonymous
Not applicable
PVBergkrantz wrote:
mbl wrote:
What kind of stair producer do you use with that accuracy, I'd love a business card.
I don't care what is the "exact" Riser Height, I only care about the total height of the stair and I want that number to be even. And that's something that you can't achieve if you divide your stair like it is necessary for stairs with overlapping Baseline.

It's about correct model display in 2D and 3D, not about accuracy. Try stacking two stairs with such uneven height on the top of each other and then make the total height match with your top floor.

Yes, some people don't mind it there is a small height difference in the section for example, but I try to avoid such unnecessary faulty dimensions in my model and "wrong" snapping nodes that will just make the model messier as the project goes on.
PVBergkrantz
Expert
Yes I agree completely, was just making a bit of fun
| AC 25 Int | Win10 | i7-7800X | 32 GB | GeForce RTX 2060 6GB |