BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Modelling Accuracy

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi!

Is there any way to set a constraint so that Archicad only draws/models in increments of 5mm? Realistically speaking, you'd never measure to the millimetre in construction and having things working out at the odd 1 or 2mm on drawings is pretty embarrassing.

Additionally, it's a very easy mistake to make to draw and model things to 0.1mm and with dimensions typically set to round things up to the nearest millimetre, it's a recipe for headaches. I know you can set the project preferences to track things to one decimal point of a millimetre and dimensioning to do the same, but wouldn't it make sense to remove that issue altogether and set a constraint to 5mm, or at least 1 full mm?

Cheers!
3 REPLIES 3
Eduardo Rolon
You could set it up using the Grid Setting and turning the snap on but in my opinion you should always model as precise as possible regardless of if it constructive reality.

This should avoid problems when exporting to 3D printers or to rendering programs or for opening the file in future versions of AC.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

gpowless
Advocate
Modelling less precise leads to all kinds of wonky dimensions where chains don't add up or confilct with other dimensions.

Accurate modelling is no less difficult than less precise modelling. One should always use the x-y-z input method for laying out. That way when you specify 2110mm, that's what you get, not 2108mm.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
Anonymous
Not applicable
+
in archicad - modeling - any curve objects are segmented (inaccurate)
+
zooming on small objects is sometimes real task cos zoom is to fast.
This happens when you model small objects
(even when i put cursor on object i get pass object zooming it)

my 2 cents
Learn and get certified!