BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Modelling BIM with PointCloud

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good day, Everyone. I works as engineer in compant that specialized on processing PointClouds. Right now I try to model BIM in Archicad and I got some questions .
1. Every PointCloud that I use for drawings/3d have same issues. Everything is curved. Roofs, beams, walls, etc. Distance between walls at bottom can be 3m and at top 3.2m, because of slope. I have same wall but in one place almost vertical, and 5 meters further with angle in 1,5degree (see screenshots). How is it possible to create such curve? In general, how to work with PointClouds and fit BIM to it.
2. If I need to cut the top of the wall with curved shape, should I create this shape, then use SEOperations and then hide it? Is it ok in Archicad? For me its strange that i should have a hide layer, and I should say it to customer (not to turn it on).
Thank You for Your answers)
3 REPLIES 3
If your company is in the point cloud business, then I assume they have ReCap right? https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/recap

I have experimented a few times making building models from point clouds and if you have access to ReCap don't even waste your time importing the .e57 into ArchiCAD. Make for yourself a really great set of dimensions in ReCap, lots of screen shots, paste that into ArchiCAD and model the building from scratch rather than in the converted point cloud file which is typically to big to be functional.

You can of course import the .e57 point cloud into ArchiCAD and model everything in the point could but you will find out right away that this is not the best way to go. And when you do import the .e57 into ArchiCAD model, use the Morph tool to draw/model lines around openings, objects, etc... copy and paste them into another instance of ArchiCAD where you model the building based on those those morphs.

This is not the orthodox way to do it, but after you have tried to model with ArchiCAD in the converted .e57 point cloud for a while you will be looking for some better ways to get the job done.

To me, the point cloud is the last option for measuring a building.

Stereo Photographs from a drone with some key dimensions, Lasers, Distance Meters, Tape, string-lines... https://lasers.leica-geosystems.com/blk3d-news ... all kinds of things that I think are more useful most of the time than a point cloud.

But it may depend on what it is your are modeling.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you, for Your reply.
We work only with PointClouds:) I don't understand correctly Your part about morphs. You mean, that I could create morph to be exactly like in PointCloud and use it. Or what? What do You mean by "copy and paste them into another instance of ArchiCAD where you model the building based on those those morphs"?
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I assume it comes down to the slowdown from having the point cloud in your model.

The worflow is to have the pointcloud in a seperate file to reference for dimensions. Drafting a morph plane as a quick 3D reference to check your model dimensions.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Learn and get certified!