Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Modelling custom folding shutter

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone!

New to this forum but not new to ArchiCAD I'm trying to create a custom shutter element for my project. The perforated shutters will be concealed within the opaque exterior finishing of the building. I use a default bifold door for that purpose. What I need is to have 10 panels, each one having different surface materials, within 1 “door”. Unfortunately, ArchiCAD doesn’t provide this option for default library elements.

So, what I've tried so far is:

1. Convert the default door to morph and manually apply a desired surface material to each panel. It works, but if only I need to change the size of the whole “door” it will require me to remodel the entire element. Other inconvenient is that I can't change the shutter's opening width/angle. I’d like to keep this option available because I need to make 2 renderings - 1 with shutters opened, and other having them closed to better show my architectural purpose.

2. With the Library Part Maker plug-in that I've learned about on this forum, I've created a “door” based on the AC’s default one and manually assigned 10 different materials to the panels. The issue of this method is that the LPM plug-in (or ArchiCAD??) can't save more than 8(!) materials linked to door panels. So, 2 panels of my newly created “door” don’t have a surface material at all. Also, a LPM doesn’t create the needed opening hotspot.

I regret I’m not familiar with GDL. But if anyone of you has a precise idea of which parameter should be modified in the default bi-fold door’s script to achieve the desired result (10 different panels within 1 door) – I swear I’ll go in!
I don’t know whether Cadimage plug-in is capable to do the job, but I’d like to proceed with free methods...

Any other idea would also be appreciated

what I need.jpg
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is the preview for the result that I’ve got with LPM.
LPM door.jpg
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I am only guessing but I think this is how the GDL Objects that Library Part Maker uses are scripted: only 8 Surface Materials are defined within the GDL Object. I guess the developers though this many would be enough for any purpose, looks like they were wrong.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!