Parametric design
About Rhino & Grasshopper and PARAM-O.

Modelling fully parametric columns

Karol Argasinski
Enthusiast

Hi All,

I wanted to ask whether it is possible to model columns which has a lot of joints, joist elements and so - I am able to model everything separately, but the question is whether it is possible to model all of those (see attached screenshots) as in one element and have it in my favourites?
It is steel column, which has concrete foundation and it is screwed to it.  I wonder what the best approach to would be for that.

Best
Karol

Screenshot 2022-09-25 132447.pngScreenshot 2022-09-25 132627.png
OPENBIM does works!
ArchiCAD 22/23/24/25/26/27 INT &POL

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 128GB RAM, GeForce RTX 3070, Windows 11 Pro
MBP 14 M1 Max 10C 32GB
http://www.bimfaktoria.pl/
8 REPLIES 8
DGSketcher
Legend

I'm not sure how parametric you need the column, if it is just main column lengths that need adjusting then you could model most of your images with multiple complex profiles. This is the equivalent of taking several slices through the column and adding them together as extruded segments. Unfortunately I don't think this method would work with the triangular fillets / bracing.

You could consider downloading & using the Library Part Maker to model and save the objects as library parts which may be quicker & easier to model, plus the objects can vary their level of detail by MVO. They won't be dimensionally parametric though. I'm not sure if you have to have a SSA/Forward support subscription to use this download add-on.

Failing that, create a Morph from the various parts and merge it into a single Morph. It would be possible with care to stretch the Morph. 

@GRAPHISOFT Yet another task that desperately needs Instancing

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Hi,

I actually finished that (slices) and it works quite well, although what would be great addition (That's a question to @GRAPHISOFT  devs), to have possibility to put other profiles into columns (i.e. if you need to model a column, with a lot of detail, you could have one tool to rule them all (instead of beams/columns, merge those tools and have possibility to work in different axis'). 

I have other columns which needs to change Z plane. I am modelling them with beams to be honest (round detailed historic columns) and later on use specific classification but that shouldn't be the way IMO.

Check the screenshot. Instead of creating one element, you are forced to create several elements. The best case is to use wall/beam to create one element (cut column in horizontal plane) and draw 1/2 profile out of it. Then classify it as Beam or wall for IFC classification. With that you are also forced to have IFC classification in schedules... it goes on a on... 😎

I will give a try PARAM-O though.

About LPM - I think that's not the tool that would work best with this case study.

Best
Karol

Screenshot 2022-09-25 162124.png
OPENBIM does works!

MBP 14 M1 Max 10C 32GB

Not sure if it helps your workflow but you could consider a REVOLVED SHELL for that historic type of column. The rotation can be faceted / segmented rather than just a simple circular rotation.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

This is not a solution to the issue. The issue is, unfortunately, more complex. It is more data management/classification issue rather than modeling problem. I am fully capable of modeling specific structures - the question is how to make it more inteligent - maybe @daviddelven ? I guess you like those kind of "issues" 🤓.

Best
Karol

Screenshot 2022-09-25 184344.png
OPENBIM does works!

MBP 14 M1 Max 10C 32GB

I just write a Quick gdl object for things like this.

Andrii Levko
Expert

Hi Karol

Have you seen this course? There are examples of column modeling very similar to your attached screenshots.

https://learn.Graphisoft.com/learner_course/show/16051

Zrzut ekranu 2022-09-26_3.pngZrzut ekranu 2022-09-26_2.png

Zrzut ekranu 2022-09-26_1.png

Andrii
AC 8.1 - 27 INT/POL 3001
Win11 | Ryzen 5600 | 16 GB | GTX 1650

Hi Andrii!

thank you for that reminder, it will for sure help with rebuilding my knowledge foundation 😀.

as for the “issues” I guess I have to go with the flow of what Archicad is bringing 😉.

best

Karol

OPENBIM does works!

MBP 14 M1 Max 10C 32GB

And if coupled to the profile manager you have something even better and easily adjustable for the user.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»