BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Morph vs Shell

Anonymous
Not applicable
Didn't have time (need) to work with Shell or Morph, trying to catch up with them.. started with morph, which makes sense to me (not the case with shell, as I really can't grasp the concept of it, the limitations and the mentality behind it). however morph looks more logical to me, it resembles the behavior of all 3D packages shapes creation.

Anyhow I am aware of some limitation when comparing both ( for example the ability to inserting windows or skylights in shell).
but still exploring Morph as I thought that I might skip working on shell if I can achieve what I need with Morph. but for example in the attached image I tried creating a twisted shape, the results are different using both tools, and not sure how can I achieve that in Morph (beside converting the shell result to a morph).

- Based on your experience can you list what you found about Morph vs. shell tool ? when would you use each ?

- How can I achieve the shape attached directly using Morph?

Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
NandoMogollon
Advocate
whatever wrote:
Didn't have time (need) to work with Shell or Morph, trying to catch up with them.. started with morph, which makes sense to me (not the case with shell, as I really can't grasp the concept of it, the limitations and the mentality behind it). however morph looks more logical to me, it resembles the behavior of all 3D packages shapes creation.

Anyhow I am aware of some limitation when comparing both ( for example the ability to inserting windows or skylights in shell).
but still exploring Morph as I thought that I might skip working on shell if I can achieve what I need with Morph. but for example in the attached image I tried creating a twisted shape, the results are different using both tools, and not sure how can I achieve that in Morph (beside converting the shell result to a morph).

- Based on your experience can you list what you found about Morph vs. shell tool ? when would you use each ?
I use Shells on Facades / Roofs mostly and now and then when need some weird shaped wall, but not very often. The good thing about Shells over Morphs, like the one you have in the picture, is that Shells somehow interpolate a curve when transitioning from one profile to the other. And the fact that you can apply composites to them. Other than that they behave mostly like the revamped Roof tool.
whatever wrote:
- How can I achieve the shape attached directly using Morph?

Thanks.
The morph will treat the sides as faces and will try do create the less amount of triangulated polygons to keep the geometry together.
In order to achieve the same effect (as in the shell) instead of using a rectangle (straight sides) try using a rectangle with curved sides.
let me put that into steps:
  • -create a rectangle (flat morph)
    -curve the edges ( pet palette option)
    -revert the curves back to straight line (as if adding a new node to the edge with the pet palette)
    -Extrude it ( 3D window)
    -now select the upper face and rotate it.

- notice it now behaves like the shell.
The reason behind this ( my guess) is that once you curve the edge it creates a bunch of segments with invisible edges, that will create the soft curve.

hope it helps.
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
Anonymous
Not applicable
The reason behind this ( my guess) is that once you curve the edge it creates a bunch of segments with invisible edges, that will create the soft curve.
Oh, never seen this behaviour on any other element in ArchiCAD before ! Thanks, however its far from being smooth (in plan it is almost unusable because of the segments) while Shell is quite smooth.
Learn and get certified!