BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Morphing an elliptical opening

rgarand
Booster
I would like to make an elliptical piece of trim to go around my elliptical garage door opening. I have been able to draw the morph profile and a 3D morphed polyline. (see attached screen shot) I just cant seem to figure out how to extrude the profile along the polyline. Seems simple enough. I tried magic wanding with all sorts of combinations without any luck.

I know I can break down the ellipse and draw a few "curved walls" using the profile, but I just thought the morph tool would be able to do this much quicker and easier.

Any thoughts?
Robert J. Garand
ArchiCAD USA 27-Build 5001 USA FULL
Windows 10 Prof (64 bit) - Intel i9-10920X CPU 3.50 GHz - 128 GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000
2 REPLIES 2
NandoMogollon
Advocate
Hi,

You can do that in two ways:

1- Using the magic wand.
Yep, but the trick is to make the path (morph line) a face, that is: you have to close the line, then it creates a face for it.
Now select your profile, use the Tube option in the pet palette, and space-click for magic wand on the surface generated by he path.

Notice that this will add a undesired profile at the bottom, you cut that off ( SEO or just Split)

2- Using the Tube Manually.
Here the trick is to click somewhere in the profile morph, click the Tube command, then re-position the origin of the Tube by clicking on the same plane of the profile morph right where both profile and path are touching.
Then you can follow the path hotspot by hotspot.

It helps if you have made both the profile morph and the path morph a one single morph ( using Union) if you do that it follows the path more naturally.

Hope this helps
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
rgarand
Booster
Excellent! These instructions worked perfectly. I chose the first way and edited the final morph. I am attaching a screen shot of the final morph in it's resting place.

Thank you for the precise instructions.
Robert J. Garand
ArchiCAD USA 27-Build 5001 USA FULL
Windows 10 Prof (64 bit) - Intel i9-10920X CPU 3.50 GHz - 128 GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000
Learn and get certified!