Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Moving whole project with elevation marks to new location relative to origin.

4hotshoes
Advisor
A newbie in the office started a new project off in Timbucktoo. I took the opportunity to bring it closer to the origin. However, when the Elevation marks that were set for a sheet already also move WITH the building and stay in the same relative location to the building. The elevations shift to the left or to the right within the viewport.
Why is this?
Is there an easy way to correct the view ports on the sheets? Some of the dimensions stretch out of wack and all of the notes are also off the building but on the viewport.

I moved all manually which was not too hard since the project is starting. But I was wondering how to solve or avoid this problem.

Would the shifting of the elevations have anything to do with changing from the negative side to the positive side of the origin?
Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)
3 REPLIES 3
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Could you post a few screenshots of this? Maybe a screenshot of the Floor Plan, one of the Section, one of the Section placed as Drawing on the Layout.
Can you also tell the distance the building had the be relocated? Was it relocated vertically as well?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Barry Kelly
The elevations and sections use the same origin as your plan.
So if the plan is a long way from the origin, the elevations will be a long way from it as well.

The problem is that when you move the model and the section/elevation lines closer to the origin, you have probably done this by selecting it all (or use the all storey marquee if there are multiple storeys).
So in plan the model and annotation is all being moved together at the same time.

In section/elevation, the annotation is not linked to the model, and because you can’t select it from the plan view, it won’t move and stays where it was in relation to the origin.
With the exception of associated dimensions, the witness lines will stretch to stay linked to the model.

Unfortunately you have to move the annotation in each elevation separately to agin match the model.

Likewise if you move the model in 3D window, I think you will find the floor plan annotation will not move (except dimension witness lines will stretch again).

Also beware of info in layers that were turned of during the move.
That info won’t move either.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
4hotshoes
Advisor
LaszloNagy wrote:
Could you post a few screenshots of this? Maybe a screenshot of the Floor Plan, one of the Section, one of the Section placed as Drawing on the Layout.
Can you also tell the distance the building had the be relocated? Was it relocated vertically as well?
The project has been modified already, so I do not have any screen shots.

But while working on it, I realized that the elevations were shifting to the new location and the 2D graphic and viewport just needed to be stretched to show the model's new location. It is odd to me that what I see in the viewport is not like the view screen of a camera, if the camera moves with the moving object, you should see the same thing in the viewport.

However, I am understanding that an Elevation Mark is an infinite cutting plane that sees the model from that plane infinitely left or right, and infinitely up or down. The viewport is not tied by position to the Elevation Marker. It is tied to the cutting plane. So if the model moves to another part of that infinite cutting plane, the view port need to move to the location that reveals the moved model. Then all of the 2D info, which is applied to the cutting plane like a glass window needs to also move to the new model location and with in the newly located viewport in order to be seen.

Now I think I understand the concept and will be able to work with it. (Thanks to partly Barry's comment)
Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)