BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Multi-angled custom roof edge

Anonymous
Not applicable
With regard to the roof tool's custom edge settings, can you apply more than one angle to the custom edge? If so, I also need to be able to apply different surfaces to each angle.

From what I can see, the custom edge function allows for the edge to be customised at one angle only.

Is a multi-angled custom edge achievable with the roof tool, or is this a job for complex profiles?

Custom roof edge angles.jpg
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I would use complex profiles, because it will give you more flexibility with the materials, details and the way is build.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Or if it is early modelling stage, just use something to cut it away with a solid element operation.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Arquivas
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Erwin. Would cutting the roof edge with solid element operations then allow me to change each angled surface individually?
Barry Kelly
Kieran wrote:
Thanks Erwin. Would cutting the roof edge with solid element operations then allow me to change each angled surface individually?
You modify the element or elements shape or rotation that you are using for the SEO and your roof edges will adjust accordingly.

The advantage of the SEO is you can use it on a real roof rather than making a complex profile beam or wall and trying to use that as your roof.

You can use a complex profile to do the cutting in the SEO or you could use a series of single roof planes to get the angles you want and use them together in the SEO.

In your example you would only need one the get the end or bottom angle, the other angled surface can be the actual edge of your roof.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
You can easily adjust the angle of the surface, if you want complete flexibility in the design and the surface textures and the like, you could try using a morph in the early stages and moving to the roof tool, complex profile beams etc when you are starting to model things in greater detail.

Though, let's say that in materialisation stage you decide to work with some sort of panels, it would be possible to model those panels individually with single plane roofs, for example. Breaking up your one shape in to several individual planes, which then are easy enough to manipulate by themselves.

We compare it to being in a helicopter, slowly descending and the closer you get to the ground, the more detail you will see. First drafts are rough, once you have your desired look, start working on the details.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.
Barry wrote:
You modify the element or elements shape or rotation that you are using for the SEO and your roof edges will adjust accordingly.

The advantage of the SEO is you can use it on a real roof rather than making a complex profile beam or wall and trying to use that as your roof.
So in the case of SOE, I'm still not sure how I can manipulate the newly created surface. The black top edge seems to be the only one I can change (being part of the original edge). Even with surface painter (which I don't want to use), by clicking on the new edge surface I want to change, the whole roof changes to a uniform colour instead of one surface.

My understanding is that surface painter only works for 3D representation anyway. I would like changes to be represented in all views.
Barry wrote:
You can use a complex profile to do the cutting in the SEO or you could use a series of single roof planes to get the angles you want and use them together in the SEO.
Also with using another element as the 'cutting operator', do I just give it it's own layer and then hide that layer?

Thanks for your patience, I'm sure it will sink in soon.
Roof edge surfaces.jpg
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
You can let it take the surface of the operator (you'll need to redo the operation for this).
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Excellent, thanks.
Learn and get certified!