Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Multiple Navigator Palettes

Bob Moore
Enthusiast
I suddenly have 3 navigator palettes on my workspace. I can't get rid of the extras. I tried closing the project and opening it up and that didn't work. I even opened another project and it had the same issue. I have never had this happen and I've been using AC since Version 7.
AC 7 - 27

iMac 27"

Mac OS Sonoma 14.0

3.1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 575X 4 GB
10 REPLIES 10
Bob Moore
Enthusiast
I realize now that it's the Publisher. It has never shown up there. It has always been an unlocked tab.
AC 7 - 27

iMac 27"

Mac OS Sonoma 14.0

3.1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 575X 4 GB
runxel
Legend
You can grab the organizer and voila, you have an undocked palette.
All palettes can be docked or undocked.
This doesn't depend on the file but your workspace environment.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Barry Kelly
The one on the right of the screen is the 'Navigator' palette.
The one on the left is the 'Organiser' Palette - it allows you to see the Project Map / View Map / Layouts / Publisher on the left side and at the same time the View Map / Layouts / Publisher on the right hand side.
These can be from the same file or even a different file on the left - allowing simple drag and drop from one side to the other.

You can grab them (at the top) and drag them to undock - then close as runxel said.
Or you can go to the 'Winddow' menu and turn them of in the 'Palettes' list.

Or the default keyboard shortcut is F9 for the Organiser (on Windows machines anyway).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
DGSketcher
Legend
Another great example of GS's unnecessarily expansive menus. The whole menu system of AC seems to present multiple options in different locations for each step but only one will allow you to complete the journey. The pop up navigator, the navigator dialog and organiser palette could be easily consolidated into a single dialog, but currently each one is slightly different in content or functionality. At a basic level the left column of the organiser should be a Navigator fly out and the pop up should simply be an option for auto hide of the fully functioning Navigator dialog either docked or floating. To have an efficient workflow there is a need to consolidate dialogs where possible without loosing functionality. But may be that's just me...
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
runxel
Legend
DGSketcher wrote:
But may be that's just me...
While it may seem excessive they both serve different purposes and I'm glad we have these options, so depending on your work environment (# of screens e.g.) you can choose what suits you most.

There are other problems which would need attention 😉
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
DGSketcher wrote:
The pop-up navigator, the navigator dialog, and the organizer palette could be easily consolidated into a single dialog, but currently, each one is slightly different in content or functionality.

Navigator Dialog? Where is that?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Barry Kelly
LaszloNagy wrote:
Navigator Dialog? Where is that?

I think DGSketcher means Navigator palette.

Basically we have the Organiser.
That does everything, but takes up a bit of screen space.

Then we have the Navigator that uses less screen space, but losses the ability to drag an drop between project map, view map, layouts and publisher.

But still it takes up screen space so we can turn it off and use the pop-up navigator instead.

So they all have their reasons for being there.
No need to combine them because we already have one that does everything - the Organiser.
But depending on what you are doing at the time, you may not need it taking up space.
So use the one that suits what you are working on.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru
An expand button on the Navigator to turn it into the Organiser? Sounds like an interesting idea.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
DGSketcher
Legend
To clarify a little more, what really was at the centre of my thinking was the functionality, not changing the screen real estate. There may be those who want the "organiser" type layout on a separate screen permanently open, but at the other end, those on small screens may only have space for the pop up. Unfortunately, and this is what sparked the idea, the pop up has limited functionality and I can't think why? Even on my large monitor, if all the functionality was in the pop up then that would be my preferred option. As things are now, I have to use the docked version to do many frequent tasks. And the addition of the "organiser" fly out just seemed like a logical extension to the fully functioning navigator and an opportunity to retire a "palette" that provides an unnecessary dichotomy in the workflow.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)