Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Multiple Screens, "pop out" drawings from main window?

Gus
Newcomer
I use 3 monitors and love it. I wish that I could place a plan on one screen and a section on another screen. However it seems the only way to do this is to stretch the "main window" of archicad across two screens. It seems impossible to pull drawings outside of this "main window." Stretching the "main window across two screens creates so many problems that it becomes irrational to do so. Am I missing something? Is there a way to have drawings "popped out" of the "main window?"
www.michaelgustavson.com Architect NY WI IL
Madison WI
Archicad21 MEP EcoDesSTAR Win10-64-bit
EliteBook8570W Corei7-3630QM@2.40GHz
QuadroK2000m RAM32 (2)250GBSSDs
4 Monitors Internet:4Up60Down
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
No. What you see is how things work on Windows, which follows Microsoft guidelines for apps that operate in an enclosing, parent window. Some palettes and dialogs can be dragged outside of the parent window, but not plans, sections/elevations, 3D, layouts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_document_interface

Things on Mac are independent and can be spread around as you're wishing.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Gus
Newcomer
Karl,
I'm always amazed at how much you know about this program and how willing you are to help everyone. Giant kudos to you. Thank you so much for all the help you have been giving to so many people.
-Gus
www.michaelgustavson.com Architect NY WI IL
Madison WI
Archicad21 MEP EcoDesSTAR Win10-64-bit
EliteBook8570W Corei7-3630QM@2.40GHz
QuadroK2000m RAM32 (2)250GBSSDs
4 Monitors Internet:4Up60Down
Karl Ottenstein
Thanks, Gus!
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
poco2013
Mentor
Actually your info isn't exactly correct. Windows has also had this capability also since Vista, I believe. Archicad simply has chosen not to implement it. -- Works quite well in other CAD programs.

Maybe next rev?
Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27