Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

My Mesh is 1800 feet deep, and i want it thinner

Anonymous
Not applicable
So, I built my mesh 1800 feet deep, I don't want to have all of this extra mesh that I dont need, I only need about 30', from the top of it.
I can't figure out how to lose the bottom of it.
If I change the bottom height it seems to just raise the whole mesh, and I dont see how i can change the thickness anywhere.
The mesh height is only 3'-0".

I dont think I explained this well, but if anyone knows what I am talking about and can help make my mesh thinner I would greatly appreciate it.
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jess,
Could you post a screen shot of the mesh settings ?
I am not sure what you are saying about height and thickness.
Thanks,
Peter Devlin
Dwight
Newcomer
MAybe this helps:
Whn i have a mesh too deep, I pull it upward using the pet palette feature.
085 copy.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
It sounds like you have a 3 foot thick mesh, and then you have projected the points up 1800 odd feet from the mesh's reference plane. And now you are raising the elevation of the mesh.

The best way IMHO to build a mesh is to set it's elevation (eg. to project zero, sea level, datum, etc) relative to the level of the actual site, keeping the mesh thickness at zero, then project points up from there.

At this point you need to follow Dwight's directions, or give your mesh a negative thickness. But next time, try and model it at the correct level. Research using reference levels.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you guys.
Link, I understand using the reference plans and how I SHOULD have done it, I don't know why I did it the way I did to begin with.

Dwight- pulling it up the way you suggest just rases the whole mesh.
Link-I didn't realize I could give it a negative thickness, so your suggestion worked just fine, thank you.
Dwight
Newcomer
That's not possible: Here's a diagram of three identical meshes with the base pulled up and down using the method i recommended.
Dwight Atkinson
Srinivas
Booster
Jess,

You can have a slab at the 30' depth and do an SEO with downward extrusion and then freeze the slab layer.
ArchiCAD Services
ArchiCAD since v9 to latest
iMac, Windows 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight, yeah I am not sure how come it works for you and not for me, I have to see what I am doing wrong.

Srinivas- I try not to do too many SEOs on my meshes because I find it slows the file down, and makes too much going on.