Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

My top wishes for next AC release

Anonymous
Not applicable
Trese are my top wishes for the next release of AC. Most of them are ages old and some address the "improvements" Graphisoft introdiced in the new versions.

I don't want Graphisoft to introdice anything new in the next release, I just want these wishes fullfilled and I will be one happy architect!

1. Skin priorities working in sections. This is the BIGGEST wish! I spend an enormous amount of time to clear these intersections. Since AC11 I adopted the following "technique" - I make two identical sections, set the status of one of them to "Drawing" and place the "Autorebuild" one as Reference. Then I clear the intersections and keep the other one under it to track chandes of the model! It sucks!

2. Bing back the AC9 method for Mouse Constraints! One of the best features of AC ever! It lived from AC4.55 till AC9. I will explain it for newer AC users: You have a line, pointing at some strange direction, at an angle you don't know, for example a street in an old city. You could use this direction by pressing Parralel or Perpendicular buttons like in AC now. The nice part was that AC remembered this angle automatically and you could use this directon just by pressing Shift! In later versions some wisemen at Graphisoft decided it would be better if you insert this angle manually each time using Work Environment! I suppose these people didn't know there were buildings with non-orthogonal walls in the world!

3. Bring back the AC9 DWG Translator! This translator was perfect! All the changes later made it worse! I have numerous post on this topic! Even AC11 translator could do, provided it is the one with the lates hotfixes!

4. Copy in Sections/Elevations! Though it is a very important feature, I put it in fourth place just because I have gotten used to the situation now! But I am sure this makes AC a laughingstock when compared to other programs!

5. Switch Geometry Methods command to work for Arrow tool too! No comment!

6. Simple surfaces! Just the ones Autocad has been having for 15 years will be enough!

7. Buy and integrate all of Oleg Schmidt's add-ons! Alas, Oleg does not support them since AC9! They were invaluable and deserve a separate thread!

That's it! Is it too much?
10 REPLIES 10
Karl Ottenstein
Hi Kliment,

Just to let you know, a poll such as this which covers multiple topics (and which will of course have more topics added by other forum members) will be all but ignored by Graphisoft because the polling numbers will be meaningless.

If you want to make a poll for each topic in your list, then you might hope for some positive future results beyond the therapy of getting your list out here. 😉 Of course, if there is an existing poll for any of the topics, you might want to post a message to it to ping it to life again in order to add to the existing votes on the topic.

If what you want to do instead is have a discussion in a normal forum to try to reach a consensus on what the top X desired features for the future are (like the AUGI Revit group), then you might do that instead.

Thanks,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Thomas Holm
Booster
Kliment, with all due respect, I think the top priority for Archicad is a new 3D kernel engine. It would probably fix at least your items no 1 and 4, and a lot of other issues too, among them some of the most asked for in this forum, and it would also fix some of the DWG issues (full 3D DWG import & export with layers, for one thing).

And I do agree about the logic and structure of AC9's DWG translator, but AC12's translator is better in some ways, like linetypes and LTscale transfer.

What do you mean by simple surfaces?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl, this topic is a personal point of view, showing what is of topmost importance to me! It was really meant as a therapy and your definition is right to the point!

I wanted to start a discussion, as some of the things I am talking are unknown to many new AC users. As you have mentioned, there are separate polls for most of my wishes, which GS has been ignoring for years! That is why don't believe Polls can affect GS's thinking!

Probably a Poll was not the right way to do it - so, Karl, please, feel free to move it to the proper section!

Thomas, I mean the ones in the picture, to be able to make things like these:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=17882&postdays=0&postorder=desc&&start=20

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=19810&highlight=
Karl Ottenstein
I've moved this from the wish section then.

Thanks,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Thomas Holm
Booster
kliment wrote:
Thomas, I mean the ones in the picture, to able to make things like these:
Thanks Kliment I see what you mean. I think we will get better free-form tools someday, I think GS feels the pressure. The question is when?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thomas wrote:
[The question is when?
AC20?
Anonymous
Not applicable
kliment wrote:
Thomas wrote:
[The question is when?
AC20?
Will any of us be here to find out?
Thomas Holm
Booster
You will, you're younger than me!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I meant will we still be using Archicad?