Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Need a smart 'X' object

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm doing some detailed framing for walls and floors in 3D, using the 'Joist Beam' object allows me to get pretty good results.

But at the same time I want good looking 2D display in sections and plan view, therefore things don't work out so well because the object displays the 'X' mark on two ends only, apparently it cannot detect which end is the smallest, I end up with vertical studs have an 'X' mark on its side in section view.

So is there anything else I can use, something that can always display an 'X' mark on its two smallest faces? This way vertical studs have 'X' in plan and sill & top plates have it in section.

Any recommendations or suggestions are welcomed!
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Try using a column for your studs. It has the option to show an X in plan view.

Doug
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh hey thanks, I honestly did not know that! So I'll use the Joist object for horizontal members and columns for vertical. Good tip! Though if someone can come up with a smart GDL object that detects its position automatically that'll be great. Meanwhile this will work for me.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Glad to help. I don't think that it would be that difficult to create an object that does what you want but experience has taught me that sometimes using one object to do to multiple tasks can be a headache. (More room for human error!) Sometime it's best to keep it simple.

Doug