Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Need help adding a door to "stacked" wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I'm new to this so please be gentle with me.

I'm using Archicad 22 to draw a floor plan for an outbuilding. The building will be built on a slab on grade with a footing below grade. There is to be a 2' stem wall of block built on the footing topped with a top plate and then an 8' 2"x6" framed wall on top of that. I drew the stem wall, top plate and framed walls as separate walls and set their heights so that they are stacked one on top of the other. The problem is that when I placed a door in the wall, the door only cuts out the wall on the stem wall part - leaving all in place on the upper sections. I assume that these wall sections need to be linked together somehow but I'm unsure as to how to do it. Also when I place the door on the floor plan, I can see the arrows to show the direction of the opening, but once I click off of it, there is nothing of the door showing on the plan. I can see it on the elevation and 3D view, but not on the 2D floor plan. I have no idea why!

I appreciate any advice you have to offer as to how to do this or if there is a better way I'm open to that too.

Here is a 3d view of the door and wall in question.

Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
The image did not show in my post so I'm trying again from a different photo server.

Barry Kelly
Your image didn't attach properly.

A door/window can only belong to one wall.
So you will have to use a separate empty opening in the other wall.

Or create a single complex profile wall that is your stem wall and the wall above - all in one.
You can do this manually or you can select the 2 walls in plan then EDIT menu > RESHAPE > MERGE WALLS.
This will create a 'Custom' complex profile wall for you.
Edit this profile and 'Save' it with a meaningful name.
Now swap the 'Custom' wall in your plan with this new 'Named' wall.

And obviously you can use this profile wall for all the other similar walls as well.

As for the door not showing it could be because it is being placed on another storey.
Or you may have a different renovation filter active in the floor plan than you do in 3D/elevation.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru
The door may also not be showing in plan due to your layering of walls. The wall that your door is contained within might be falling below your cut plane.

If you keep the walls separate, rather than using an empty opening, you could duplicate your door into the upper wall and turn off it's 3D view. The plan will show the door then rather than just a hole.

Both are solved with complex profiles in your current case which with the new profile modifiers can be quite flexible.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the suggestions Ling and Barry. All of your idea make sense. I"ll work on it on Wed (busy tomorrow) and post back here with the results. Thanks again.
Anonymous
Not applicable
From the answers I could tell that you guys don't need the image to understand what I'm talking about, but it bothers me that my images did not show up. Since I cannot find any way to edit a post (?) I'm trying one more time to post an image. Hopefully it will work this time.

Barry Kelly
novicebuilder wrote:
Since I cannot find any way to edit a post (?) I'm trying one more time to post an image. Hopefully it will work this time.
Yep, worked just fine this time.

You should be able to edit your old post.

Also rather than adding a link to an external image you can upload the image directly to the post (so long as it is not too big).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
You should be able to edit your old post.
Also rather than adding a link to an external image you can upload the image directly to the post (so long as it is not too big).

Barry, When I click the icon for edit, the only option I'm given is to "Report this post" on all my posts up until this one. I posted this one, and Voila! the edit option is now available. Good! I also now have the option to upload, so apparently something was changed in my "permissions" on the forum server. Thank you if you are the one responsible. This will help a bunch!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm making some progress trying out your suggestions. It is complicated working through all the layers but I think if I persist I can accomplish what I'm trying to do. Thank you again for your help.
Learn and get certified!