BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Need to rotate a profile?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Do I need to use a different tool to do this?
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl,

"Looking at it further - I think I would model the mass as a mesh with a rock surface applied and use CineRender's displacement feature and call it close enough."

This sounds encouraging, but I have absolutly no idea what your talking about.
Is there a video tutorial or anything out there on this procedure?

Thanks. I'm going to try creating some morph rocks now... I'm hoping the results will be better than the rots example. not very convincing are they?
Karl Ottenstein
No, the rots aren't too realistic... but Barry's morph rock idea is great. And, as seen in that thread, the texture applied to the rock makes a big difference, too.

On second thought, my idea about a mesh would look pretty weird. I was thinking basically adding points to a mesh and pulling them up in 3D to make the rough shape of the water feature.. and then applying one of the stone surfaces to it... which would map stones all over the mounded mesh. But, duh, it would look pretty bad, as the gaps between rocks would be at peculiar places that had nothing to do with the geometry. So...bad idea.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can't figure out how to "curve and smooth the edges" as Barry puts it.

Karl wrote:
No, the rots aren't too realistic... but Barry's morph rock idea is great. And, as seen in that thread, the texture applied to the rock makes a big difference, too.

On second thought, my idea about a mesh would look pretty weird. I was thinking basically adding points to a mesh and pulling them up in 3D to make the rough shape of the water feature.. and then applying one of the stone surfaces to it... which would map stones all over the mounded mesh. But, duh, it would look pretty bad, as the gaps between rocks would be at peculiar places that had nothing to do with the geometry. So...bad idea.
Karl Ottenstein
Learn and get certified!