BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Network Sharing

Anonymous
Not applicable
New to ArchiCAD, we have a few computers hooked up via network to a "master" computer. My objective is to create a library of objects, composite structures, and complex profiles (off topic also need: shared master templates), from any computer and save it to the master so anyone on the network can access it. How can we accomplish this through ArchiCAD, trying not to use BIM server if possible?
3 REPLIES 3
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
We host all our company specific stuff on a server. I can just link those folders with the Library Manager.

Preferred location for templates is set up in Work Environment and we host those on the server too. Composites and complex profiles (and all other attributes) are file specific, so should be part of your template if you wish to bring them in to each new project.

If you are sharing data from the 'master' computer, be sure to map those locations as network drive on your operating system.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erwin wrote:
We host all our company specific stuff on a server. I can just link those folders with the Library Manager.

Preferred location for templates is set up in Work Environment and we host those on the server too. Composites and complex profiles (and all other attributes) are file specific, so should be part of your template if you wish to bring them in to each new project.

If you are sharing data from the 'master' computer, be sure to map those locations as network drive on your operating system.
Thanks for the help, but what files or folders do I need to concern myself with? What about project save location? I see the autosave folder, but I assume that's different.

EDIT: So here is how I am doing it as I understand.
-I linked Templates to SERVER//....ArchiCAD19/ArchICAD Templates (from Work Environments)
-I linked the library to SERVER//....ArchiCAD19/ArchiCAD Library 19. (from Library Manager)
-And for composites and complex profile I will make a .tpl file that I can build up over time. And just share this file as a base for each project as needed.
-For project files we have to save the file and specify where it goes.

We are coming from SoftPlan where this was all linked to locations, when we made a new project it would just make a folder automatically. Sorry this is just a different process and we're trying to get this right.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I'm not really qualified to answer in depth network questions, sorry.

We have someone that does IT for us.

We do have a dedicated server running for all this stuff. With emergency power in case we get a blackout etc etc, the works.

You might be better off seeking info about how to setup filesharing across a network. The actual ArchiCAD stuff is a simple as pointing it to a folder that you can reach by explorer / finder (depending on your OS).
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Learn and get certified!