Licensing
About all sorts of licenses, their management, Graphisoft ID, Graphisoft Store, License Manager Tool, etc.

New User: Switching from Windows to Mac

Anonymous
Not applicable
Greetings, all.... First post here.

I've been using AutoCAD for 11+ years (started on R12 for DOS, now using ACAD 2008) but lately I've been feeling the urge to divorce myself from all things Autodesk and Microsoft and broaden my horizons. As such, I'm also looking to make the jump from a Windows PC to a new Mac sometime within the next couple months.

I downloaded the educational version of ArchiCAD and installed it on my Windows machine, but I haven't registered it yet because of my upcoming switch to the Mac platform. My question: Can I register it now and use the same serial number when I get the Mac version, or will I need to register a second time? Is registering more than once even permitted? Are there any substantial differences between the Windows and Mac versions of ArchiCAD?

Also, is there a good way to learn ArchiCAD, other than going through the tutorials that come with the program and asking questions here? Are there any ArchiCAD classes available in New York City? I'll probably be doing this in my own time, since my firm uses AutoCAD and isn't likely to change anytime soon.

Finally, any advice as to which Mac I should get? I'm on the fence between the 24" iMac and the base Mac Pro workstation. I looked at the system requirements for ArchiCAD and it looks like any of the systems should work fine, but I'm leaning towards the Mac Pro for rendering and flexibility. (The new iMacs are beautiful machines, but I don't like the idea of having all my eggs in one basket, hardware-wise.) The Mac rumor sites are all saying the Mac Pros could be updated with new CPU's and better graphics cards as early as November 13th, so it will be interesting to see what Cupertino has up its sleeve.

Thanks in advance....
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I noticed that Educational registration site allows you to register several times, using the same email address. If you need to register for different OS, I guess you have to register again. Other option is to use the TRIAL version, this version works for 30 days, the file can be converted to FULL file(non-protected file format) upon purchase of commercial license:)
I use ArchiCAD in both Mac and Windows. The user interface is exactly the same!