BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

New project starts zoomed WAY out.

When I start a new drawing, the display is zoomed incredibly far out (like 85,000 feet across the screen). Not sure how this started. Any ideas of how to get new blank drawings to start so they are more reasonably zoomed (like 100' across)? TIA-
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
8 REPLIES 8
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Richard

Seems like either your project is millions of miles away from project zero (in which case you would have to move it back).

Or you have an element that is trying to escape the project!;-) Try turning on all of your layers, zooming extents, then in the arrow tool, hit Ctrl+A. Check if you can see anything selected near the edge of your floor plan window.

I got a 6 pack says you find something out there

Good luck.

Cheers,
Link.
Link wrote:
Richard

I got a 6 pack says you find something out there
Cheers,
Link.
So will you be sending that 6-pack by UPS or FedEx?

There is nothing out there. This was a brand new blank drawing, created on starting up ArchiCAD. (Using latest settings, though) I believe this is a bug; reproducible, but only randomly. I did a "new and reset" and things went back to normal, and tried a few more new drawings, using the "latest settings" radio button, and zoom was okay. Not sure yet what the trigger is for the weird zoom behavior, but I guess it's nice to know we can model the state of Texas, if necessary. (I mean physically, not behaviorally.)
Richard
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Well if there's beer on it, I think I will need some closer inspection. Please email me a zipped PLA of it! my email address is link at archilink.net. I'll take a look at it on my next flight.

Cheers,
Link.
Djordje
Ace
Richard wrote:
There is nothing out there. This was a brand new blank drawing, created on starting up ArchiCAD. (Using latest settings, though)
If the last project you worked on was far from origin or was zoomed out, then this is a feature, not a bug 😉 I would always start new projects from a template (which you do have set up, right? )
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Karl Ottenstein
Djordje wrote:
If the last project you worked on was far from origin or was zoomed out, then this is a feature, not a bug
Not sure if I agree on this one, Djordje. I've had the same behavior as Richard at times (haven't bothered to pay attention to the circumstances) ... where the initial zoom level is ridiculously far out, as he says, farther than I would ever zoom...much less in the last project.

I don't recall it ever happening with a template, though ... just when I do a "new with last settings" when testing something.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Djordje
Ace
Karl wrote:
Djordje wrote:
If the last project you worked on was far from origin or was zoomed out, then this is a feature, not a bug
Not sure if I agree on this one, Djordje.
Missed the smiley, huh? 😉
Karl wrote:
I don't recall it ever happening with a template, though ... just when I do a "new with last settings" when testing something.
One more reason why you should always start new projects from a template.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Karl Ottenstein
Djordje wrote:
Karl wrote:
One more reason why you should always start new projects from a template.
Yes, I agree for 'real' projects... but to clarify, are you suggesting this as a workaround until "new with last settings" is implemented properly? When I'm quickly verifying a bug or trying something for someone here on the list, 'new with last settings' should be good enough IMHO.

Do we have a wishlist item on that one? 😉

Thanks,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Link wrote:
Richard

<snip>I got a 6 pack says you find something out there

Cheers,
Link.
Link,

The solution just appeared: http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=6905
There was nothing out there.
Still waiting on that 6-pack....
Richard
Learn and get certified!