cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Design forum

No FBX in Archicad 26

Rex Maximilian
Advisor

Having downloaded Archicad 26 today, my first order of business was to see if they’ve included FBX export from the 3D window.

Nope.

Everyone, I’m at a loss for words. Imagine a word processing app not being able to save PDF, or an image editing program not being able to save JPG!

FBX is the industry standard for 3D model exchange and asset creation, and our $5K software with a $900 yearly price tag to remain current can’t save an industry standard format… SketchUp can… Revit can… Archicad falls short!

What are our options? A petition? An en masse open letter to major software publications highlighting this glaring omission?

Graphisoft has stopped responding to any forum post regarding FBX, and obviously from its lack of FBX exportability in Archicad 26, Graphisoft has ignored our repeated requests!

But guess what Archicad can export?

1. Electric Image (last release in 2013)
  2. Piranesi (last release in 2007)
  3. Wavefront (acquired by Autodesk in 2008)
  4. Collada (last release in 2008)
  5. VRML (last code update in 1997)

They offer us these antiquated and outdated formats, yet no FBX! What do we do next?

Graphisoft, you’re on the clock here. We need a response and we need it now.

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 25 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
52 REPLIES 52

Rex Maximilian
Advisor

@Minh Nguyen @Laszlo Nagy  @Roland Szabo 
Could one of you please provide some insight to this? Why does FBX continue to be a missing export option from the 3D window? And why are the outdated formats outlined above still being updated for each version when the R&D involved could be used for development of an FBX import/import?

This is a glaring omission from a $5000 program. We've paid nearly $1000 every year with no advancement in modern 3D exportation.

Thank you in advance for a prompt reply.

It seems FBX in Archicad depended on Twinmotion :"

Within Archicad, The Twinmotion add-on for Archicad allows you to export your Archicad 3D model to FBX. The add-on is installed by default.
The main purpose of FBX format is to provide interoperability between digital content creation applications. The .fbx files allow computer- based creations to be opened, edited, and modified across many applications and systems.
More details about Twinmotion on this link
.TMATwinmotion File

Legacy file format that was used by the Twinmotion Add-on until Archicad 20. From Archicad 21 interoperability is provided using FBX format.
More details about Twinmotion on this"
Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-26 (Full)
Asus | 64 GB RAM | Windows 11

Maybe you can use Enscape to get the possibility to convert your 3d file into. FBX

Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-26 (Full)

Enscape is Windows only at this time. @Rex Maximilian is using macOS so that will not work.

eduardo rolón AIA NCARB
Another of the forum moderators.
Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram
OS X 10.XX latest
AC25 US/INT -> AC08
Puerto Rico, BVI, Miami

Vectorworks 2022

Yes, previous versions of the Twinmotion add-on (Archicad 24 and earlier) allowed for FBX support. However, that stopped in Archicad 25's plugin from Epic. It really shouldn't be up to a third party software to provide FBX support.

I can save to SketchUp from Archicad, then to FBX, but it's not a clean process. And of course, requires a SketchUp subscription.

Thanks!

Minh answered you last year: https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Wishes-forum/FBX-Export-Archicad-25/m-p/306963/highlight/true#M1...

"To my knowledge, the FBX export function was made available by the previous Twinmotion DirectLink addons. Unfortunately, Twinmotion has shifted to their new Datasmith format, thus this function is no longer available."

Noémi Balogh

Customer Engagement Expert, Community Admin

In a post by Emre Senoglu above ( Link to Emre's post ) he has received a response from Epic to say they will be creating an add-on for 26 FBX export sometime in the early fall (September/October).

So let's hope this comes to fruition.

Correction - it is not an FBX exporter, it will be the Datasmith exporter (add-on).

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 25
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Dell Precision 3510 - i7 6820HQ @ 2.70GHz, 16GB RAM, AMD FirePro W5130M, Windows 10

hey barry, just to correct a small confusion here - epic has stated that they will be releasing a DATASMITH exporter for AC26, and not FBX.

here's a link to the thread on TM forum: https://twinmotionhelp.epicgames.com/s/question/0D54z00007p3STbCAM/ac26-plugin?language=en_US

The ability to export FBX from Archicad is still a valid wish and request. If this will never happen, then at least an explanation to why would be useful to read.

AC25 // Ryzen 2700x / GTX 1660ti // Corona / Quixel / Twinmotion / Rhino

Emre Senoglu

Thanks for the clarification. Back to square one.

What do I tell my potential game developer client asking me for architectural assets of my creation? This is why it’s unacceptable for AC25 & 26 to not export FBX.

Ah, your post just said "exporter" before and as the topic subject was FBX export, I just put 2 & 2 together.

Thanks for editing your post and clarifying.

You would think that as there was an FBX exporter available for version 24 and previous versions, it would just be a matter of recompiling that add-on in 25 and future versions.

But then I don't know much about compiling add-ons.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 25
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Dell Precision 3510 - i7 6820HQ @ 2.70GHz, 16GB RAM, AMD FirePro W5130M, Windows 10

It’ll be a good stopgap when they release it. However, Graphisoft really needs to fix this themselves instead of relying on third party software to bail them out. 

@Noemi Balogh Thank you for replying. I would like to clarify the topic of this post if I may. It isn’t about Twinmotion or Datasmith, or even Epic’s development of FBX export in the past.

The question is:

Why has “Graphisoft” not included a stock export option for FBX? …independent of any third party developer? FBX is the industry standard for 3D file exportation in an software to software exchange capacity?

This is a big hit at Archicad’s functionality, as well as reputation.

I would also like this thread to draw your attention at Graphisoft. I would like to have an Archicad software that is as autonomous as possible and does not depend on other software to export a file into .FBX. As simple as that!

Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-26 (Full)

Are we really going to get no reply (on the subject of FBX) from Graphisoft? I DMed @Minh Nguyen a few days ago and still no response. We deserve to know why this is excluded and what the plans are for FBX export (and hopefully someday import).

@Rex Maximilian Maybe you need to "Stay focused and design more" first 😄

Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-26 (Full)

😂🤙

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Hello,

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts regarding this issue!

This issue started when Epic Games moved away from FBX to use their own proprietary format in the newer Twinmotion connection. As I mentioned previously, we received this functionality from Twinmotion/Epic Games, thus it is not our Intellectual property to recompile it for later Archicad versions. Developing the support for another 3D format would take a lot of time and resources (especially since FBX is a closed format), thus it's a difficult question of how to allocate enough manpower to create this.

Furthermore, if the main issue is exchanging models with Twinmotion, I see we have different options for that. May I ask you why FBX export is such an important feature for you? Other 3D formats mentioned in this thread are also used widely by the industry, not to mention FBX is not exactly new either (created in 2006).

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Hi @Minh Nguyen 

Thanks for specifically clarifying the origin for FBX in previous Archicad. It makes a lot of sense and I understood before that it's not as simple as others want it to be. There's always 2 sides to a story.

To your question "why FBX is so important" I can say this:

The main reason is that FBX is better in several ways than 3DS & OBJ to transfer a model to render software for example, whether from Archicad or any other modeling software.

• ie. FBX transfers textures way better. 3DS & OBJ very often map the textures wrongly to the mesh or some times not at all.
  • FBX also gives a better quality transfer. You have to do more work from 3DS & OBJ to get the quality back.
  • FBX is much lighter in the receiving software (I'm not sure why, but it is).
  • FBX has better support to do animations than 3DS & OBJ.

You'll see this in Twinmotion, Unreal Engine (probably Unity then also, I don't have experience here), Sketchfab & even metaverse platforms like Spatial & Decentraland.

While we talk about metaverse, we should add .GLTF .GLB formats to the list. These formats are becoming main formats in CGI, VR, AR (XR) & Web3.0 because it has been optimized for the most current tech & workflows. I really think Graphisoft should at least support these formats soon. It's a good thing that many CGI artists prefer modeling in Archicad over ie. Sketchup.

This is all related to visualization workflows and important for 3D Artists. 

I hope this helps. 

Regards
Francois Swanepoel

Hiking, Motorbiking, Good food, Gr8! Beer & excellent conversation 😉
www.fusionBIM.co.za - Architecture - BIM Implementation - ArchiCAD Training
www.Scirrus.co - LiDAR Digital Survey - Scan2BIM As-Built - Property Compliance
www.BIM2fusedVR.com - Virtual Reality Capture, Render Studio & Matterport Service Partner

Hi Francois,

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation! I have added your comment to the wish. I really hope that we will be able to bring back this function in the near future!

Please feel free to let me know if you have any further questions!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Great, @Minh Nguyen, and thanks for following-up on this request. Adding the option to save as FBX format in Archicad will help us with our 3D models when the time comes to render them using other specialized software for that. This option is also available in Revit, Sketchup, and Rhino for the benefit of their users. Again, congratulations on doing that!

Here are some advantages of the FBX extension by Pasquale Scionti:

By.jpgBy-2.jpg

Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-26 (Full)

Didn't find the answer? Start a new discussion

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!