Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Non-horisontal roof ridge

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

I'm struggling with how to make a roof ridge that is not horizontal. I'm just beginning this BIM model and will naturally be working on it for the next 2-3 years so the solution has to be practical in terms of future skylight, sections...

What is the best way to approach this?
13 REPLIES 13
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Unless the gutter is sloped as well or your building footprint is not a rectangle, you will have to bend or curve the roof planes to do that.

If you do want a sloped gutter or a trapezium footprint, the ridge will be sloped.

Build your model with cardboard and you will see how the roof planes work.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
There should be no need to curve that roof...
screenshot.jpg
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
If you want to re-invent the rules of geometry, I'm not stopping you
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
But I'm not inventing anything... The roof is flat.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Your roof pivot lines need to form a trapezium shape, that is the only way you will make that shape, without splitting that triangle in to two triangles or twisting the roof in to a curved shape.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
runxel
Legend
I'd just like to drop the Mesh to Roof command.
Might be helpful here.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you, both of you.

I was hoping there would be a solution where I could use the multi-plane roof, and easily adjust the angles as the project develop. It seems I have to use single-plane roofs, which is OK, but a bit more work...
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
If your roof planes are not parallel with each other, your ridge will not be horizontal. It will slope up or down.
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, the multi-plane does that...

Unfortunately the moment the footprint becomes something else than a rectangle the top ridge point is un-movable? That is very inconveniant at such an early stage...but probably because of geometry constraints.