Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Object is not selectable after "use fills" are turned off

kosta
Booster

Hi, Object(windows, door) becomes not selectable after "USE FILLS" are disabled from "Floor plan and Section" from settings. Is that ok behavior? I don't fint a place where to click to select them after disabling fills, even thick lines not going to help.

Also is there object lists in Archicad? Where I can click and select object by name, I mean something like outliner in maya.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

@kosta , I removed the file link as it just bombarded me with messages and my ant-virus was saying malicious content.

I wouldn't use that file sharing service.

No problem with the selection.

You should see 'Multiple Elements (TAB)'.

So just TAB to cycle through the doors.

First when hovering the mouse you should see this - the door to be demolished.

BarryKelly_1-1645947133863.png

Press TAB and it will select the other door.

BarryKelly_0-1645946970990.png

Interestingly though, when you press TAB and the other door high lights, it does not show the renovation status in the info box.

But it does select the correct door if you now click to select.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly

If you don't want to or can't select by a fill, then all you need to do is select by a node or edge.

In the case of doors and windows you will find nodes at the corners of the openings and in the very centre.

Once you have one selected, you can see by the black dots exactly where you can select in future.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
kosta
Booster

see below

kosta
Booster

@Barry Kelly 

I forgot to add that this is still tied to situation when one door is old for demolition and one sits on same location and are new.

In other words besides that width line disappearing issue it also won't select the new door that sits above old, even when "new construction" is set in renovations It still selects old door behind the new. That renovation issue mentioned in previous post also spoils the selection action while fills are off, and " select by a node or edge" doesn't work.

Only edge that works is door opening angle top line purple point but if door is closed (have that purple swing point inside wall opening) you are not able to select new doors at all.

and same is for windows, not able to select new window if it sits on an old ones place and are closed.

Or you can say that when one door/window sits on another in different renovation statuses it causes issues in places when same edges are intersecting/occupying same areas, at least inside wall opening.

I guess that is second issue with renovations in AC.

I am having no issue selecting the doors - no matter what renovation filter is active.

Any of the points shown by the black dots will select the door, as well as the purple moving hotspots.

BarryKelly_0-1645892384490.png

If existing and new doors are shown together, TAB cycles to the one you want to select.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
kosta
Booster

No @Barry Kelly I meant something else in upper post, uploading a file, try that and try to select "D00 - NEW" door under new constructions renovation status enabled, it is 2 doors one over another, I'm sure you will understand it is simple scene.

P.S.  I can't upload it here as it exceeds 5 megabytes, though I have only one wall inside.. 

Link removed by moderator - Barry

if you can't download from it, just recreate simple wall.

1) create wall and insert door (name it "old") to easily distinguish by names 

close the door (0 degree in swing angle)

2) copy that door along wall to have second copy, name it "new" 

3)set old door to be demolished status and new one set new status now place new in same place with snap, to be sure they occupy same space and are same shape

now set "new constructions" renovation status and new doors(visible one) will become not selectable , it only selects old doors below.

better use the file if you don't understand what is going on, because those issues are so deep and happen in specific situations that many might not even bother about that, and as you said " dont use renovations" looks like many dont use renovations too, it is quite buggy because I found another strange behavior this time related to openings in renovations(while placing one object below opening) frankly saying ACs renovation tools start to disappoint me...   

waiting your feedback in above situation , thanks for help ! 

Solution

@kosta , I removed the file link as it just bombarded me with messages and my ant-virus was saying malicious content.

I wouldn't use that file sharing service.

No problem with the selection.

You should see 'Multiple Elements (TAB)'.

So just TAB to cycle through the doors.

First when hovering the mouse you should see this - the door to be demolished.

BarryKelly_1-1645947133863.png

Press TAB and it will select the other door.

BarryKelly_0-1645946970990.png

Interestingly though, when you press TAB and the other door high lights, it does not show the renovation status in the info box.

But it does select the correct door if you now click to select.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27