BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Object to sum multiple zone areas

insideru
Advocate
Hello,

I'm looking to find out if it is possible: in a project where some rooms need to have their added zone area annotated, i would like to have their zone areas added automatically, not to use a calculator every time to input data manually. This takes a lot of time, especially when those zones get modified, but it feels like in an information based model there should be a way to access data stored in specific objects, retrieve it and adding it together.

PS: i am a GDL noob
ARCHICAD 27 INT
macOS Sonoma
6 REPLIES 6
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Can you post a screenshot of what exactly are you trying to achieve?
I don't quite have a clear idea of what this "added area" thing is. Do you mean the sum of area of multiple zones, maybe?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
insideru
Advocate
exactly, sum was the right word. can't post a screenie now, as i'm not at work, but the main idea is simple. i have a block of flats and each apartment is labeled at the entrance door with the total area of the rooms. at the moment i'm just adding (here's where the add came from) the numbers manually on a calculator and writing the sum down. it isn't that big a deal, but during the design process those zones keep changing, and i need to redo the calculations. not to mention that at some point i keep forgetting if the calculations are up to date or not, and i just redo them to be sure. its frustrating to say the least.

to sum it up: what i want is an object that automates this calculation process pretty much like schedules do, just on the floor plan.
ARCHICAD 27 INT
macOS Sonoma
Barry Kelly
If you are happy with a schedule instead of some clever object then you can use that.
You can't place the schedule directly in the plan (except for showing it as trace reference).
But you can place it on your layout and it will update automatically as you adjust your zones.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If I wanted to achieve something like this I would do it in GDL. Zone Stamps could write out into a Text file the apartment ID they belong to and their areas. The Label's script could read the areas belonging to a given apartment, add them and display them.
However, this requires some GDL skills.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
insideru
Advocate
Thanks a lot berry for the tip, i didn't think of that.

... and thanks laszlo for your answer as well, i just needed to know if its possible. i am up for doing a bit of research, but i wanted to know i am not doing it in vain, especially since i'm doing in in my own spare time.

write id and area to txt file, read from text file. check. will start from here.

have a great week guys,
cheers again
ARCHICAD 27 INT
macOS Sonoma
Anonymous
Not applicable
I also tried to find such an object.... no results.
I'm not sure but are you looking for something like a "Master Zone" ?
Let's say an object showing on plan the gross area of a apartment, right ?
If yes than there was such a object made by Archicad in Austria but it had bugs.
Learn and get certified!