Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Objects and Rotation

gdford
Advisor

Is there a darn good reason out there to explain that when i create a new object, we still do not have a built in ability to rotate the object in any direction? Seriously - I really want to know why after a 1000 years we still can not rotate custom objects in any direction.  When I bring in a revit object into Archicad it comes in with the ability to rotate in all directions - what's up with that???.

Yes I know we can add GDL to make this happen.... 

just saying ....

Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
3 REPLIES 3

3 parameters and 3 lines of code

Parameters all angles

Xr

Yr

Zr

3d script

Rotx Xr

Roty Yr

Rotx Zr

Change 2d script to a projection. And this is the likely reason it's not a default. 2d scripts are much harder to get to match the 3d rotation with out projection. Which ultimately can make things slow, although that's almost a thing of the past with today's hardware.

I'm guessing the import function for Revit does just this

Yes i know I can add code to my custom GDL objects, but i have about thirty objects and it really just pisses me off that Graphisoft has not been proactive for the last 1000 years and made this happen automatically.

Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
zaIT
Contributor

I totally agree because this one command makes Archicad looks ridiculously stupid to a new user who has been using other 3D softwares. This should be automatically coded in.