BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Objects in Multiple Stories

Anonymous
Not applicable
In Archicad 9 how do you get a column's cross-section to appear on multiple stories? I created the object on Story 1 that rises through Story 4, but I can't get it to appear on the upper stories. This seems like an easy one but I'm stumped! THANKS
4 REPLIES 4
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
You have discovered the reason for stories.

If you want something to show up an a story, it should (typically) belong to that story. So you should effectively 'stack' columns on top of each other - one on each story rising the height of it's respective story.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
As Link says.

... you should (mostly) model the building the way it would be built. This is the most effective way to get consistent construction drawings.

Most columns are constructed one lift at a time. Model them one floor at a time. Copy-pasting between floors is very very quick so you shouldn't view this as a hassle.

If you have an atrium-type space then yes - here is a special issue. Do a search on "multiple stories" and you'll find the previous threads on this.

HTH - Stuart
Anonymous
Not applicable
Many thanks to both of you. I am building an atrium as it turns out with structural steel columns. I now see a couple of ways to proceed. ALL BEST!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Note:

It is also possible to have 'clever' objects where you select on which stories they will show (and how they will appear there).

By the way - please set up a SIGNATURE for your messages so that we know at least what system / version you are working with ...

- Stuart
Learn and get certified!