Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Objects keep duplicating

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am designing an apartment block for my course and when ever I try to copy my floor layout (second floor) to another floor (third floor) objects keep duplicating (walls, tables, shower), it doesn't happen to everything. I am using 'Edit - Move - Edit Elements by Stories. I have also tried use 'copy' then going to another floor plan and 'pasting' there but it still duplicates.
10 REPLIES 10
Lingwisyer
Guru
Regarding your walls, are they multistory?

For the rest, other than the intended paste, duplicating in what way? Can you still see the relevant objects when you change stories?

Ling.

Given username, possible spam?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Barry Kelly
Are the original elements duplicates in the first place?
So you are actually copying and pasting multiple copies of the same elements?
Or are you sure there is only one of each original element/

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Lingwisyer wrote:
Regarding your walls, are they multistory?

For the rest, other than the intended paste, duplicating in what way? Can you still see the relevant objects when you change stories?

Ling.

Given username, possible spam?

No, my walls are not multi-storey and as for the duplicates they are right on top of each other. I have to click on everything (tables, chairs, shower) and hit delete to see if it’s been duplicated.

For example, if I copy a shower from level 2 to level 3 it works and the shower’s home story will be level 3 but it may make a another copy of it and paste it in the same spot and on level 3 as well
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
Are the original elements duplicates in the first place?
So you are actually copying and pasting multiple copies of the same elements?
Or are you sure there is only one of each original element/

Barry.

The walls are not duplicates.

As for the furniture. I put a table in once then copied that around to each apartment. Is that what you mean? Do I have to go back to the object tool each time?
Barry Kelly
If you place one object, then copy it and get duplicate copies, then there is something strange going on.
I was wondering if you original object is already duplicated, so then you are copying and pasting duplicates rather than just one object.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
If you place one object, then copy it and get duplicate copies, then there is something strange going on.
This isn’t the problem
Barry wrote:
I was wondering if you original object is already duplicated, so then you are copying and pasting duplicates rather than just one object.

Barry.
If you mean having the same object duplicate in the same spot then no
But i have copied objects around.
For example, I have done a kitchen in 1 apartment with fridge, sink and cupboards. Then to save time I have copied all those object and paste them in my other apartments on the same level.

What I am trying to do is I have completed a floor layout (level 2) and I want that same layout on my other stories

Ps. how do I unmarked this topic as not solved. First time here
Anonymous
Not applicable
@Sammy1495
Did you check if the object is part of a Group? Also check if AutoGroup is set to On.
Hope this helps.
Barry Kelly
Sammy1495 wrote:
Barry wrote:
This isn’t the problem
Barry wrote:

Barry.
If you mean having the same object duplicate in the same spot then no

I am a bit confused now.Before you said ...

For example, if I copy a shower from level 2 to level 3 it works and the shower’s home story will be level 3 but it may make a another copy of it and paste it in the same spot and on level 3 as well

The 'Edit - Move - Edit Elements by Stories' will copy everything on that storey
You can tick the boxes for different element types that you want to copy and it will copy only those element types - but all of thoses elements.
You can't pick an choose which elements to copy this way.

Only by physically selecting elements and then using the simple 'coy & paste' can you copy just those selected elements.

But if when you paste you are ending up with 2 copies in exactly the same place, I don't understand why.
Unless you are pasting twice.

Sammy1495 wrote:
Ps. how do I unmarked this topic as not solved. First time here

You simply press the 'tick' button to un-mark the post as solved.
The same button you use to mark it as solved.
I have un-solved it for you.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Podolsky
Ace
it's necessary to understand - from where these duplicates are coming. Try to use "Check duplicates" command (if you don't have it - you need to install goodies). It will speed up the process of detecting duplicates.
What you are described - it's very unusual behaviour of the program. And I'm not sure that this is program bug, mist likely you did something wrong - or duplicates existed originally or you copied them twice in the same location and didn't notice that.